Q. Will any of my regular medications cause tingling sensation of scalp?

Dr. Muhammad Majid Hanif
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 01, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2019

I am experiencing tingling sensation of the scalp on left side of my head. The medications which I am taking are Zyprexa, Prozac Sonata, Neurontin, Tramadol and Metformin. Will any of these medications cause this tingling sensation?

#

I want to assure you that everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.

This is due to the side effect of medications you are on. It is relatively a minor side effect and is usually self limiting and not an issue of medical concerns.

Many of my patients come with tremors of the eye muscles or facial muscle tremors too along with the scalp muscle tingling. All your medications are fine and nothing has to be changed because, this is just a temporary adverse reaction to them and will go away on its own.

If I extrapolate my clinical expertise, I want to make sure you do not have the start of any neurological abnormality, as such kind of tremors may also be due to some associated neurologic disease.
So, having said that, do you have some other neurological manifestations or any kind of disease symptoms other than this in any part of the body?

Keep taking all the medicines. Your Metformin is least likely to cause such a side effect of muscle tingling. All others do have an impact of variable intensity.

Avoid tea, coffee, diet or regular soda, energy drinks, alcohol, cigarette first hand and passive smoking, e-cigarette vaping, etc.

Take plenty of water and keep a proper physical activity. Cardio exercises are best for you. It will raise the blood flow to the scalp vessels and will keep the emissary veins of the scalp well flushed and will help relieve the symptoms.

Join any fitness club where sauna, swimming, steam bath, cardio exercises are available and follow the instructions of the instructor there. Your BMI (37.11) is high and it means you also have a higher fat content. And the drugs' fat distribution also contributes to side effects of drugs. Try to take your BMI down within the limit of 18-25.

Proper rest and meditation is best treatment for you right now. Also try recreational and meditational activities with your family.

|