How to manage my 18-month-old child passing stool with blood often?

Q. My 18-month-old child passes stool with blood often. Is this a serious issue?

Dr. Payas Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

My child is 18 months old with a weight of 10 kilograms. He passed stool after 3 to 4 days and it was not too hard. He was not willing to eat and so we did a little bit of forced feeding. He is a very active child. Twenty days back, he passed stool after three days. I saw a bloodstain on his stool and so I consulted a doctor. The doctor suggested taking syrup Ziprax 3 ml twice a day for five days. I sent his stool for routine testing with pH and reducing substances. His stool report came back normal. On the night, he got a fever. Again, he had a fever of 100 degrees in the morning and I gave him Paracetamol syrup.

On the next day, he had a fever with a temperature ranging between 99 degrees to 102 degrees. So I consulted a doctor and he told me to give Crocin 5 ml on SOS, and Metrogyl 3.5 ml syrup TDS for five days. On the next day, his stool was normal in substantial quantity without blood. After a day, he did not have a fever. Again on the next day, he had stomach pain and it looked like acidity. On the next day, his stool came out with blood. I sent his stool for testing. I have not consulted a doctor. What can I do? Does he have any major problems? He is not feeling well and not willing to eat food. Why does his stool come with blood? Kindly suggest.

#

It seems like dysentery. He needs to take a course of antibiotics for seven to ten days. Please mention whether he has a previous history of constipation. Please mention whether he has any perianal rash or any trauma in the anal region. It often occurs in constipation. Please mention whether he has straining behavior while defecating. Constipation has to be ruled in these cases. Please mention whether his blood looked fresh or mixed with stools. Kindly send his urine for routine examination and kindly attach his reports.

I am attaching his stool reports. Last week, his stool came out with blood. On the next day, he did not have a fever and I sent his urine for culture test and stool for testing. I have attached his reports. He did not have a fever for the past two days and so I did not give him medicines. He did not have any interest in eating foods for a week and so we did a forced feeding. He cried at night around 1 AM for five minutes. It seems to be stomach pain. Kindly advice.

#

As his fever remains resolved, he has abdominal pain alone. Please mention whether your baby regurgitates his feeds. Please mention whether your child is taking any medicine currently. Please mention in detail about constipation. You can give Colicaid drops 1 ml before going to sleep for three days. You can add a probiotic also.

Sometimes, my child regurgitates his feed as if something remains irritating his throat. His stool is soft and regular. At present, he is not taking any medicines. It looks to be improving. But he cries at night around 1 am and 5 am. My child takes food around 10 pm and sleeps by 12 pm. Can I start giving Colicaid drops 1 ml before sleeping? Kindly suggest some foods for him. Can I try to give Gripe water?

#

Irritation in the throat causes regurgitation in babies. It is good to hear that his abdomen is normal and his stool remains regular and soft. I suggest you avoid giving Gripe water. You can give tablet Lanzol (Lansoprazole) 15 mg half a tablet once a day dissolved in water for three days. You can give syrup Domstal 2 ml (Domperidone) twice a day for three days. You can give Colicaid at night as advised. Have a review after three days.

I had an interaction with a doctor here. He told me to give syrup Septran 5 ml twice a day for five days. He advised to reduce his milk intake. There is some improvement in his eating habit. He passes soft stool regularly without blood. Two days back, he had a stool with some blood again. He cried at night at a lower level. Kindly give your suggestions.

#

As your child has taken a course of antibiotics, you can give probiotics for three days. It is good to reduce his milk intake. His stool report does not show any blood. I suggest you give probiotics for three days and stop everything and see his symptoms.

|