Q. From my MRI, can you point out what is causing the back pain?

Dr. Rajyaguru
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2021

Other than Bell's palsy, I have a problem of back or neck pain now. In fact, this has been going on for a few months now. More recently, the right of the back (lower back and hip) has been causing a lot of pain. I got an MRI of spine done four weeks ago. I am attaching the report here for your reference. The pain has increased significantly over the last 10 days or so. I visited a physiotherapist two days ago. She did some nerve stimulation in that area and asked me to do some exercises. I am not sure about the nerve stimulation and how safe it is. Also, if the exercises to strengthen the core are good. My GP ordered some x-rays yesterday. I will get the results later today. I am not sure what is causing this pain and what I should do next. 

#

• Regarding your new symptoms, they are due to degenerative changes in your spine that is, wear and tear after usage (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The changes are there in the whole of your spine, maximum at the neck than at the lower back.
  • There is no medicine by which we can completely reverse it, but we can certainly control it.
  • Your pain is not radiating (going down) down your leg, so there is no clinically significant nerve root compression. If you read the MRI report, you may think that a lot of your nerves are compressed. But, do not worry as the compression is clinically not significant.
  • Regarding treatment of back pain, you can go for electrical stimulation. It helps with reducing the pain. It is safe, but it works for approximately 60% patients. It may work for you or may not, but no harm in attempting.
  • I suggest you the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  1. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice daily for a week.
  2. Tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg twice daily before food for a week.
  3. Tablet Tizanidine 4 mg twice daily for a week.
  • Once your acute spinal pain relieves, you can continue with spinal extension exercises for back and isometric neck exercises for your neck. If you do not exercise regularly, in a couple of years, you can have nerve problems.

For further information consult a spine surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-surgeon

|