Q. Do I have osteoarthritis?

Published on May 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

I am a 24 year old female. My BMI is normal. I am fairly active on my feet all day because of work and I used to walk instead of transport. I was a lot more active when I was younger. I used to dance for roughly 20 hours a week and swim five hours a week. Since I have got older and due to injury, I dance for 2 hours a week and swim when I get a chance. I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatters in both knees when I was 16 and had physio for a year. They used to swell drastically and I still have prominent bony lumps just below both the kneecaps. The only thing that really seemed to help is drastically cutting down exercise as they would become so painful that I could barely walk. The pain comes and goes after an active day at work such as cycling, swimming, driving a long distance or sitting for a long period of time as I am 5'10", it is regular. I have also noticed recently that I have been getting neck and lower back pain as well as regularly feeling like I have strained my right shoulder. I have tried to pass it off as just pain, but it is becoming too often to be a coincidence and cannot help thinking it is linked. I have looked online and read a bit about osteoarthritis and this seems to fit what I have been finding. But, I do not want to jump into conclusion. Do you have any idea what this could be and whether it is linked? Is there anything that I can do prevent it other than cold compression? Thanks in advance.

#

• It does seem like osteoarthritis, but I would suggest ruling out rheumatological diseases as well and check vitamin D and repeat it.
  • For your shoulder I would like to know how much is your range of motion.

1. Osteoarthritis.
2. Overuse injury.
3. Rheumatological diseases (less likely).

1. Complete blood count (CBC).
2. Antinuclear antibody (ANA).
3. X-ray of the shoulder with Y-view and x-ray of the cervical and lumbar region.

1. Most likely degenerative joint disease (DJD).
2. Osteoarthritis of cervical and lumbar vertebrae and shoulder joint.
3. Less likely rotator cuff injury for shoulder and nerve impingement of the lumbar (lower back) area.

1. Ibuprofen 400-600 mg every 8 hours as needed for pain. Should take the tablet with food and do not take it empty stomach.
2. Muscle relaxant like Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg every 12 hours on as needed basis. You should not drive while taking it.
3. Physiotherapy would be very helpful.

1. Minimize your exercise to three times a week and strengthening exercise encouraged.
2. Use braces (knee brace and back support).

Revert back with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I have pain in my knee. Is it because of osteoarthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the right knee for two months. While using a staircase, it used to pain initially whenever I starting walking or running. The pain is exactly on the front side of the knee and just below the left side of the kneecap. I started jogging a year back and continued for six m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your X-rays are normal for age (attachment removed to protect patient identity). What you describe is patellofemoral compression syndrome and weight gain, wrong exercises, jogging on an incline, poor shoe wear, open chain exercise like squats, knee rolls have a role ...  Read Full

Osteoarthritis of Knee

Article Overview: This is a patient information article on wear and tear in knee joint. It gives information regarding understanding of osteoarthritis of knee its causes, prevention and methods of treatment available. Read Article

Dr. Mohan Krishna

Osteoarthritis can affect any joint in the body. It is like wear and tear which develops over many years. It is common in people over 50 years of age, particularly in women. Both knees need not to be affected at the same time. The cartilage gradually roughens and becomes thin exposing the underlyin...  Read Article

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The day when a hip replacement is done, that day itself, other joint movements should be started as early as possible. First, non-weight-bearing physiotherapy should be done, followed by partial and full weight-bearing exercises. Non-weight bearing movements should be don...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now