Q. Do I have osteoarthritis?

Answered by Dr. Sadaf Mustafa and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Osteoarthritis Of Knee or Osteoarthritis? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 24 year old female. My BMI is normal. I am fairly active on my feet all day because of work and I used to walk instead of transport. I was a lot more active when I was younger. I used to dance for roughly 20 hours a week and swim five hours a week. Since I have got older and due to injury, I dance for 2 hours a week and swim when I get a chance. I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatters in both knees when I was 16 and had physio for a year. They used to swell drastically and I still have prominent bony lumps just below both the kneecaps. The only thing that really seemed to help is drastically cutting down exercise as they would become so painful that I could barely walk. The pain comes and goes after an active day at work such as cycling, swimming, driving a long distance or sitting for a long period of time as I am 5'10", it is regular. I have also noticed recently that I have been getting neck and lower back pain as well as regularly feeling like I have strained my right shoulder. I have tried to pass it off as just pain, but it is becoming too often to be a coincidence and cannot help thinking it is linked. I have looked online and read a bit about osteoarthritis and this seems to fit what I have been finding. But, I do not want to jump into conclusion. Do you have any idea what this could be and whether it is linked? Is there anything that I can do prevent it other than cold compression? Thanks in advance.