Q. Please suggest me a suitable therapy for lower back pain.

Dr. Ankur Jindal
Published on Dec 10, 2016

I am a 38 year old male. Four months back, I was admitted in a hospital for stomach ache. After blood tests, ultrasound and a CT scan, I was diagnosed with liver parenchymal disease, mild umbilical hernia and grade III varices. I have never tasted any type of alcohol or tobacco in my life. The doctor suggested me to go for EVL. I was discharged from the hospital after a week. Again, after 15 days, I was admitted for EVL. I was discharged after two days. During the treatment, backache developed. After a month, when I went back for a checkup, I complained of a continuous backache, which was mild in the day and severe in nights. They hospitalized me again for a further checkup. All tests, including an x-ray, ultrasound and MRI were performed. The orthopedician told me that there is some problem with my L5-S1 on the right side though it is not that severe. He informed me that I just need exercise. I was discharged after four days. I am still suffering from backache. Whenever I am passing stool, I get backache. I cannot stand straight because of pain. The pain starts from the lower back and goes to both the sides. I also have pain around navel area and that is going down to the penis. I have a history of fatty liver. I am currently taking Pan 40, Udiliv 300 and Lasilactone.

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• As you are young and already have cirrhosis with portal hypertension, I need to know the etiology. Get tested for hepatitis B and C, autoimmune liver markers and probably a liver biopsy.
  • Avoid added salt. Monitor carefully for abdominal distension and bleeding.
  • The best therapy is graded physiotherapy. Any spine surgery should be the last resort as you have cirrhosis.
  • I suggest you take Pregabalin 75 mg at bedtime and Tramadol. Avoid other painkillers. I also suggest you to take two to three spoons of Lactulose syrup per day to avoid constipation.

Revert back with the reports to a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Does a cirrhosis patient require medicines to increase platelet count and Hb?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a liver cirrhosis patient. My platelet count is 72,000 and hemoglobin is 10. Everything else including protein and albumin are normal. The doctor is giving Ricovir 300, Pantosec 40, Udliv 150, Vitamin A to Z daily and Lasilactone 50 mg on alternate days. But, he is not giving any...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In liver cirrhosis, chronic fibrosis occurs and such fibrotic tissue obstructs portal blood flow and so, because of portal hypertension splenomegaly can occur. An enlarged spleen traps platelet count and so your platelet count is low. With an improvement of cirrhosi...  Read Full

How can I be relieved of this sharp lower back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night, I bent over to reach for something and got a sharp pain in the left side of my lower back and the pain is still there. I can hardly move without intense pain. Is there anything that I can do to feel better? I do lift a lot of heavy boxes at work. What should I do? I can ben...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The probable cause is IVDP (intervertebral disc prolapse) and iliopsoas strain. I feel that pain could be due to irritation. I would like to you to do a lot of icing on your back once in every two hours. Lie on stomach with chest placed over pillows like in a cobr...  Read Full

Severe pain in the right shoulder which radiates to the whole arm.What could it be?

Query: Hello Doctor, Severe pain in the right shoulder which radiates to the whole arm. Tingling sensation everywhere in the whole arm. The shoulder blade hurts, underarm pit also hurts. Part of chest and cervical bulges are seen.  Read Full >>

Dr. Saseendar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from cervical disc prolapse and radiculitis that means there is involvement of some of the nerve roots that arise from your neck. What is the duration of your problem and what is your job? Your condition might need evaluation with x-ray of the cervical s...  Read Full