Q. Kindly guide us with the treatment for my mom's liver disease.

Dr. Ankur Jindal
Published on Oct 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My mom is 70 years old. She has chronic liver disease, cirrhosis, portal hypertension and ascites. Her creatinine is 3. She also has type 2 diabetes. We were informed by her doctor that her liver is not producing albumin and her bilirubin level is very high. Please guide us.

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• Your mom's profile suggests very advanced stage of liver disease (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • She has advanced cirrhosis of liver, which is complicated by the formation of portal hypertension and fluid abdomen. The presence of kidney injury adds to the poor prognosis.
  • Liver is a source of albumin and is an important excretor of toxins like bilirubin. So, more advanced liver cirrhosis patients generally have low albumin and high bilirubin.
  • She needs admission at a dedicated liver care unit. If she starts responding early with medications for mainly kidney injury, then the outcome may be better.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I would like to know about the treatment by which she can gain or come out of the situation of inactiveness. Currently, she is not responding to our words. She is just lying on the bed without speaking anything.

Dr. Ankur Jindal

Medical Gastroenterology
#

• This state of inactiveness and unresponsiveness are may be a part of liver cirrhosis related hepatic encephalopathy. Please ensure that she pass motion two to three times a day.
  • I suggest the following treatment for her. Please consult her specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  1. Syrup Lactihep (Lactitol monohydrate) 30 mL thrice a day.
  2. Tablet Rifaximin 550 mg twice a day.
  3. Hepa Merz sachet (L-ornithine L-aspartate) thrice times a day.
  4. Capsule Zevit (contains Folic acid and vitamin supplements) once a day 
  • Get her tested for serum electrolytes and ammonia. Also, rule out any infection and visit a hepatologist.

Can you Please suggest some medicine for my stomach pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having stomach pain for the last two days with loose motions. I took medicine to control loose motions. But, I am using bathroom for every four to five hours. I feel some heavy pain in stomach and feels like going bathroom. The motion is not loose and not regular too. It is dark an...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is really a troublesome situation you are facing nowadays. I feel sorry for this health issue. But do not worry. With care and lifestyle changes you will get better soon. Ask your local physician for a prescription of Metronidazole (or) Rifaximin to be taken orall...  Read Full

What can be done to reduce high vitamin B12 level?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been taking Vitamin B medication for over one year and my Vitamin B12 level is very high, greater than 2000. What should I do to reduce the level? I am 27 years female. Please advise.  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin. It means any excess of Vitamin B12 in the body shall be flushed out in urine. So just stop taking further vitamin supplements and the B12 level shall normalize. You can repeat the test after one month.  Read Full

Is aloe vera juice good for hemorrhoids?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from hemorrhoids. It is not an ongoing case. It just happened due to severe constipation. Apart from medicine, which is better for external hemorrhoids? Is it Aloe vera gel or lemon juice? Is there a good painkiller for such situation? I tried Panadol and it worked fine, b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data you have posted. We need to keep stools soft, which will decrease the pressure and symptoms of hemorrhoids. Our foods should be rich in dietary fiber, as it forms the bulk content of stool and will keep water with it so that the stool wi...  Read Full