Q. Am I having recurrent BV because of unprotected sex?

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat
Published on Jun 21, 2019

I have recurring BV and I do not know why. I have stopped taking baths, I do not douche, I never use any scented products. I am in a monogamous relationship. I just realized that my fiance washes his penis with shampoo, and we have unprotected sex. Could this be why I cannot seem to get rid of it?

#

BV (bacterial vaginosis) is not a sexually transmitted disease. It is just an abnormal change in your normal bacterial flora. I would recommend using tablet Metronidazole 2000 mg once or you can use Clindamycin 5 % vaginal creams once for five days. That is available over the counter. Also, avoid using unnecessary antibiotics. Get your diabetes checked if you are gaining weight. Sometimes, use of probiotics is also helpful in some people.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. As you told that your mother had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), I want to tell you that antibiotics are not the treatment for IBS. Probiotics ca...  Read Full

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. Your sputum stain says that you have lower respiratory tract infection. However, culture is negative which can occur due to antibiotic consumption prior to sputum collection. Treatment would be based on your symptoms.¬†Please mention what symptoms...  Read Full