Q. I have bad breath, and my tongue has a white coating. Why?

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 15, 2020

I have very bad breath and my tongue be white unless I brush really hard and for a long time. Same issue for years. Been to the doctor about it and the dentist. Nothing has helped.

#

Hello,Welcome to ICLINIQ This is your personal Dentist -

I went through query , as a Specialist am ready to help you .

Issue of foul breath always related to food accumulation . As you mentioned white tongue that depicts food layer deposition . So I would recommend :-

• Use a soft bristle brush ,brush twice daily in verticle strokes (not horizontal motion).
  • Use a floss and tongue scrapper whenever you brush , that way your tongue stays clean and prevents bacterail growth.
  • Mouthwash - Hyora K ( anything with chlorhexidine) but donot prolong use to avoid staining . Minimum 2 weeks then stop , use again when needed.
  • As you are on Tab Metrogyl its an added benifit.
  • Candid Mouth Paint - Over the tongue as whitish tongue denotes a fungal cause . Apply the pain2-3 times a day , tongue scrapping habits with clear the deposition.
  • Rinse your mouth when ever you eat . Make it a habit.
  • Avoid Sticky or sweet food as much possible.

Get a Scaling done once in 6 month that will prevent any Tartar deposition . I will be happy to answer all your queries feel free, kindly do-not hazitate. Other causes of foul breath includes:-

• Consumption of sulpher rich foods.
  • Staying empty stomach for a long time.
  • Underlying conditions like Acid reflux & GERD

These criteia's should also be ruled out inorder to avoid for a foul breath and achieve a healthier oral life.

Let me know if any further query . These steps will surely help you deal with foul breath issue . You can always post me a query whenever you need . I will be happy to asist you further ."Your smile matters"Good Day .Take Care.

|