Q. What could be the reason for bad breath even after getting a cavity filled and brushing once daily?

Dr. Beryl Fredrick

I have had a foul odor in my mouth for many years. So I went to the doctor and got a cavity filled. And I brush once a day, but I see people who do not brush for months but still do not have a foul mouth odor. But people are complaining to me about my mouth odor. In addition, I do not smoke or drink. So what could be the reason?

Please give me your suggestions.

#

I can understand your concern.

Bad breath or halitosis can be caused due to dental and non-dental reasons. Dental reasons include accumulation of tartar or calculus on the tooth, failed fillings or crowns, multiple decays, and an impacted wisdom tooth. But the most common cause is calculus. Therefore, complete scaling and polishing should be done to remove them, after which the bad breath stops.

Non-dental reasons like gastric ulcers, digestive issues, and throat issues could also cause bad breath. Find out what is causing your bad breath issue. If it is due to dental issues, visit your dentist. If it is not due to dental reasons, please visit a gastroenterologist. However, in the meantime, I suggest you to follow the instructions mentioned below,

1. Brush your teeth twice daily.

2. Tongue cleaning is a must. More than half of cases of bad breath are due to deposits on the tongue, and they resolve immediately following tongue cleaning. You can use the back of your toothbrush to clean your tongue.

3. Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated at all times.

4. Limit garlic and onions in your food.

5. Rinse your mouth after every meal.

I hope this helps you out.

Take care.

|