Q. There is a change in the shape of my gums due to bleeding. When will it return to normal?

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer

I have bleeding gums for a year or so, and it usually happens after I brush my teeth. I find a slight change in the shape of my gums. I have been taking extra oral care. Is there anything I could do to stop my gums from bleeding? And if the bleeding stops permanently, will my gums take the original shape? I want to know this because I do not wish my gums to recede.

#

The most common cause of bleeding gums is plaque and calculus deposition on teeth and gums (due to improper maintenance of oral hygiene). Only brushing and mouthwashing at home may not work since it is a little advanced stage and demands professional help (teeth cleaning). Gums may recede due to loss of attachment with the teeth. That requires proper oral hygiene maintenance after cleaning. In some cases, gingival recontouring or reshaping is carried out. In short, see a dentist. He will be able to address all these concerns immediately.

|