Q. There is a change in the shape of my gums due to bleeding. When will it return to normal?

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 04, 2019

I have bleeding gums for a year or so, and it usually happens after I brush my teeth. I find a slight change in the shape of my gums. I have been taking extra oral care. Is there anything I could do to stop my gums from bleeding? And if the bleeding stops permanently, will my gums take the original shape? I want to know this because I do not wish my gums to recede.

#

The most common cause of bleeding gums is plaque and calculus deposition on teeth and gums (due to improper maintenance of oral hygiene). Only brushing and mouthwashing at home may not work since it is a little advanced stage and demands professional help (teeth cleaning). Gums may recede due to loss of attachment with the teeth. That requires proper oral hygiene maintenance after cleaning. In some cases, gingival recontouring or reshaping is carried out. In short, see a dentist. He will be able to address all these concerns immediately.

I have loose teeth and bleeding gums. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, A couple of my adult teeth feel loose. My gums are sore and bleed randomly as well as when I brush. Do I have gum disease?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you say about your gum condition and oral health, I think you have a gum infection. But do not worry. It is common and curable. You need a dental appointment as soon as possible. He or she will examine clinically and advice treatment (deep oral prophylaxis, gingiv...  Read Full

Why is bone exposed in my gums?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a¬†swollen, bleeding and receding gums. I tried Corsodyl mouthwash, but I want more advice. I am dreading going to the dentist. I really do not want to lose my tooth. The top bone area is currently exposed. I really need help, please.  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sore, swollen and receding gums with bleeding seem to be most probably due to an active gum infection that is causing a loss of attachment from the gum and underlying bone, making the teeth loose. This condition is called periodontitis. Using only a mouth wash will not...  Read Full

I have receding and weak gums. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor,I have an issue regarding my gums. For the past few days, I have been feeling that my gums are becoming weak and thin as they are leaving my teeth and going down from my teeth. I want to say that a part of the teeth which is hidden under gum is showing. I am a smoker and I am already tr...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have been through your query and I can understand your concern. Receding gums can be a problem associated with many factors. It is known as the recession of gums. I would like to know if you have a habit of brushing your teeth hard. Smoking causes stains on teeth ...  Read Full