Q. My problem of bad breath persists even after teeth cleaning. What to do?

Dr. Divya Banu M
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jun 22, 2019

I tried teeth cleaning, I avoided non-veg foods and beverage drinks, which produce gas, and I am eating a balanced diet. My bad breath problem is since for the past five years till now, so in this period I realize that I have a white layer on my tongue and when I smell my tongue then I feel very bad breath. Also, I have a hole on my throat back of the tongue, and something comes through that way like thick water and when I smell it so bad.

Another is when I eat something, then that smell lasts for a long time. What to do? I have been spent more money to avoid bad breath, so give me a suggestion to get rid of it. Bad breath is the main reason for my unsuccessfulness. Sometimes thinking about this problem, I become depreciate. I needed your help.

#

The white coating on your tongue is mostly due to bacteria and debris. And, it seems that you might have a dry mouth. All this must be causing bad breath. Clean or scrape your tongue regularly, maintain proper oral hygiene, drink a lot of water and even empty stomach will cause bad breath, so have food regularly on time. Do mouth rinse with lukewarm water and salt or lukewarm water and a bit of mouthwash diluted in the water.

But, better to avoid continuous use of mouthwash as this itself can cause dry mouth sometimes, and discoloration of teeth. Get a consultation from a dentist regarding dry mouth, to rule it out. If you have dry mouth, a Sialogogue (to increase salivary flow) will be prescribed by the dentist. Do not worry. You will be fine. If possible, send me a picture of your tongue and teeth.

What can be done for bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a bad breath problem. I really feel a bad breath in my mouth when I wake up early in the morning.  Read Full »

Why do I have bad breath in spite of flossing and using mouthwash?

Query: Hello doctor, Majority of times after I floss and then brush my teeth afterward I use cool mint Listerine mouthwash. I do not understand what is going on but my fiance says I have an unpleasant smell in my mouth. I do not have to be so close to him talking. After I had a wash with the Listerine, I ...  Read Full »

How to Prevent Bad Breath or Halitosis?

Article Overview: This article discusses the causes and management of bad breath which is also called halitosis. Read Article

Dr. Osman Adam
Dentist

Halitosis or a foul odor that comes from the mouth is not a medical emergency, but at least 25 to 30 percent of the world's population complains about this problem. Types: Halitosis can be described in two classes: Bad breath in the morning, which is a normal physiological change. However, it c...  Read Article