Q. My glans penis is swollen with white smegma on it. What could that be?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

I am 26 years old. I am a diabetic and on insulin medication. This week, I got a layer of smegma on the glans of my penis. Because of that itching, started and on the second-day smegma, layer got removed. But I got a swelling on the head of my penis. Now the swelling is almost closing the opening part. I consulted one of my doctor friends, and he recommended Levocetirizine 5 mg for temporary usage, to see if it is a normal infection. It did not work that much. So please tell me what the issue is and give me the solution.

#

I have seen the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like balanitis (swelling of the glans penis), which is most probably due to a fungal infection, provided there is no history of any recent risky unprotected sexual exposure.

You can apply Miconazole cream for application in the area at night for two weeks, Fusidic cream to use in the morning for two weeks, tablet Cetirizine 10 mg at night for five days (if itching persists), KZ ( Ketoconazole) soap for washing the area twice daily, Cefadroxil 500 mg twice daily for five days (antibiotics to reduce the inflammation), and tablet Pantop 40 mg once daily for five days.

Provided there is no prior allergy to these medications. Review after two weeks.

If not reducing after two weeks, culture and sensitivity study from the area should be taken to find the root cause.

Also, follow these measures:

1. Keep the area always dry.

2. Use only dry clothes.

3. Wear loose, breathable cotton clothes.

4. Iron your clothes before wearing to kill the fungal molds.

5. Wash area with lukewarm saline water.

6. Frequent changing of bed linens and towels.

7. Do not share your personal items.

8. Maintain good genital hygiene.

| 

My foreskin is torn and it hurts while masturbating. Is it due to balanitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am perhaps suffering from balanitis. The foreskin is torn at some places and it hurts too much to pull the skin back. Some white substance is accumulating every day under the head of the penis. What to do? To be honest, it hurts while masturbation. So, I have stopped masturbating. B...  Read Full »

I have a red bump near my nose piercing. Please suggest some ointment.

Query: Hi doctor, I got a nose piercing done a month back. It was done with a gunshot, and the metal did not suit me. It ended up with a swelling at the area. I changed it to a gold stud, which worked and the piercing was fine till now. From the past 4 to 5 days, I can see a red bump near the piercing. I v...  Read Full »

As Lamisil has terrifying side effects, please suggest an alternate for scalp ringworm.

Query: Hello doctor, My 5-year-old daughter has scalp ringworm. I am using head and shoulders intense medicated shampoo and topical 2% Ketoconazole antifungal cream. Her doctor also prescribed an oral antifungal Lamisil packets granules 125 mg to be taken in food for a month. I am terrified of giving my 5...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Venereologist Now