Q. Can bariatric surgery be done for a type 2 uncontrolled diabetes?

Dr. Amar Vennapusa

I am having type 2 uncontrolled diabetes. My endocrinologist is asking me to undergo a bariatric surgery. Kindly advise. Can you explain if it is required and how is it going to help control my diabetes and hypertension?

#

Bariatric or metabolic surgeries help to achieve long term remission from type 2 diabetes. These are scientifically proven, very safe and highly effective. They result in long term weight loss in individuals suffering from an excess weight problem, and also lead to long term remission from co-morbid medical conditions such as high BP and sleep apnea.

Bariatric or metabolic surgeries alter hormones which control body fat stores and reset set value for fat storage to a lower level. Same hormonal changes are responsible for remission from problems like diabetes. Depending upon your weight, presence or absence of other medical problems, I choose different surgeries.

Sleeve with bypass combination surgeries is more powerful and durable.

Does it have any side effects?

#

Side effects are minimal.

|