Q. Can bariatric surgery be done for a type 2 uncontrolled diabetes?

Dr. Amar Vennapusa

I am having type 2 uncontrolled diabetes. My endocrinologist is asking me to undergo a bariatric surgery. Kindly advise. Can you explain if it is required and how is it going to help control my diabetes and hypertension?

Dr. Amar Vennapusa

Bariatric Surgery Metabolic Surgery
#

Bariatric or metabolic surgeries help to achieve long term remission from type 2 diabetes. These are scientifically proven, very safe and highly effective. They result in long term weight loss in individuals suffering from an excess weight problem, and also lead to long term remission from co-morbid medical conditions such as high BP and sleep apnea.

Bariatric or metabolic surgeries alter hormones which control body fat stores and reset set value for fat storage to a lower level. Same hormonal changes are responsible for remission from problems like diabetes. Depending upon your weight, presence or absence of other medical problems, I choose different surgeries.

Sleeve with bypass combination surgeries is more powerful and durable.

| 

Does it have any side effects?

Dr. Amar Vennapusa

Bariatric Surgery Metabolic Surgery

Will my kidney stone escalate my issues of high BP and diabetes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 48-year-old male. I have a high blood pressure since five years and type 2 diabetes mellitus since two years. I had a master health checkup last week. My reports showed serum albumin at 3.2, total protein at 5.8, and globulin at 2.6. The urine analysis report and the X-ray an...  Read Full »

Obesity: The New Age Epidemic

Article Overview: Obesity is a complex lifestyle disease that seems to have assumed epidemic proportions. We have failed to nip it in the bud and modern day waistlines are expanding at an alarming rate. This article discusses the causes of obesity and the measures to halt its progress. Read Article

Dr. Alok Vinod Kulkarni
General Medicine Physician

An epidemic is something that spreads rapidly and affects an inordinately large number of people at the same time. There will be a rapid rise in the number of new cases well above the defined baseline. By this simplistic definition, obesity fits the bill rather perfectly. Obesity is a lifestyle dise...  Read Article

Is low dose of human growth hormone a cause for type 2 diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have prediabetes (5.8 fasting blood glucose). Can low doses of human growth hormone used for bodybuilding lead to type 2 diabetes? My mother has type 2 diabetes mellitus.  Read Full »

Ask a Bariatric Surgery Now