Q. I have a small painful Bartholin's cyst with translucent discharge. Is biopsy required?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

I am 44 years old. I have Bartholin's cyst for the past eight months. It is small but painful daily and has a very tiny pinprick hole on hymen that seeps a translucent non-offensive discharge after I bathe or massage the lump. The lump is deep under labia major pea-sized. According to MRI, it is 10×8×4 mm. Will a gynecologist operate on it being so small and do a biopsy due to my age?

#

I have gone through your description, the details you mentioned definitely suggest there must be some infection in the Bartholin's gland. As you have mentioned it has been painful for eight months, I would like to know if you took any course of antibiotics to address the infection. In your case, you can try that as the cyst is still very small. Although the definitive treatment for a Bartholin's abscess is excision and marsupialization of the cyst, for mild cases a course of antibiotics may provide some relief for some time. But there can be a recurrence of infection in such cases in the future.

If the lesion is persistent or it increases in size, excision of the same is recommended. And it is usually a very minor procedure and not that painful too. So please do follow up with your gynecologist in case you face any such issues.

|