Q. I am not getting energy with low metabolic rate, inspite I am gaining weight. Why?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

I feel my metabolism rate is slow. When I have food, I am not getting energy. But my stomach and buttock fat level are increasing gradually. My weight is also increasing and stamina is also very low. Please help.

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

Your symptoms look more like hypothyroidism. I would suggest you to check for the same and review back.

Take syrup Zincovit 5 ml once daily for one month.

CBC (complete blood count). RBS (random blood sugar). Free T4, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

? Hypothyroidism.

| 

I have attached my file. Please suggest me the best regarding my reports.

I am taking Zincovit 5 ml dose daily once at night.

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

I have gone through your investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your blood levels, sugar, and thyroid are perfectly normal. You need not worry about anything. All we need is physical training rather than medicines. You can keep continuing this vitamin syrup regularly until you feel better.

Apart from that I would advise you for diet regularization and increased physical activities as you have mentioned your belly and bum are increasing in size which is called truncal obesity. And this fat deposition itself makes a person feel tired, lethargic, and depressed.

Regarding diet, avoid outside food, have more fresh fruits and vegetables, reduce bakery eateries, reduce carbs and fat, and consume more proteins. Among vegetarian diet, all dhal and gram varieties are rich in protein and among non-veg diet all red meat and fish are rich in protein.

Start exercising, just start with simple jogging. Note the distance and time you are able to jog continuously before you stop. Practice it daily and you can observe a gradual increase in time and distance. That is how you get physically trained. All you need now is confidence and motivation.

If you feel any chest discomfort or more breathless while exercising, please do an ECG (electrocardiography) and echo to review. Else, no problem.

| 

When I go through my reports, I observed that one of my CBC was increased, and platelets level is normal but very close to the least limit. I am practicing my physical exercise but I could not continue it due to my job nature.

And one more thing, do I need to consume Zincovit for more than a month?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

I have again gone through your CBC report.

Your RDW (red cell width distribution) is slightly increased. You need not worry about that until your hemoglobin level is normal. They will always be slight changes continuing in our body compositions according to the environment and body requirements.

But yes, your platelets are a little less. I am sorry, I was concentrating on hemoglobin levels for you that I failed to notice this. Platelets are normally between 1.5 lakhs to 4.5 lakhs. But your laboratory reference itself is given as 1.2 - 4.5 lakhs. Reference values for each lab may change according to the type of analyzer machine they have. But without any fever and bleeding symptoms this also need not be worried for. I would suggest you to repeat this in a better lab later, not very urgent, you can repeat it after two weeks.

And it is not compulsory to continue syrup Zincovit beyond one month. You can very well stop it. You will get adequate vitamins from your fruits and vegetables provided you consume them regularly.

In this Corona season, Zinc and Vitamin C supplementation is recommended by the government for better immunity. Thats why I particularly prescribed it.

| 

What should I do for my platelets count? I mean, to increase it up to mid-value range or more than it. One more thing I was observing but I did not mention that. I feel that a mild cold-like nose block sometimes, not feeling good to breathe freshly in the morning and very little amount of cough exercise sometimes. I am taking Chawanprash regularly but die to job nature, when I miss it the same thing occurs. If I intimate or masturbate sometimes after that flu-like symptoms also occurs.

Dr. Prathish Kumar

#

As I have already mentioned, according to your lab reference value, your platelet count is at the lower side of normal only. So you need not worry unless you have any fever or bleeding problem and need not take any special food or medicine to increase. We shall repeat it after a week or two in a better lab and see how is the report. If again it is low after repeating, then we shall do special investigations and take medicines for that.

For nose block take tablet Allercet DC (Cetirizine and Phenylephrine) daily for five days. Have steam inhalation with Karvol plus capsule. You will feel better. Continue taking Chawanprash. I do not think stopping Chawanprash or masturbation are related to increase in these symptoms.

|