Q. I have memory loss and forgetfulness. How to deal with it?

Dr. Mustafa Ibrahim

I am a 22-year-old and have had memory problems for the last five years. It started back in high school and I would wake up and not remember what was going on in my life, but not just for a few seconds, it would stay like that. I would know the friends I have, but I was not able to remember what was happening to me right now, if I am mad at anybody right now, do I have some guy that I am talking to, etc. When I would check my messages I would see approximately what was going on in my life, but I would still not remember when was the last time I saw some of my friends do I have some special birthday gifts planned for them, do we have a special joke for something at a time. I would just remember they are my friends and maybe like 30% of our time together. It was the same about school and I could not remember what we were doing and what I already studied so I had to do it from the beginning again.

The situation got worse when I went to college, and now it is even worse for me because it happens that I wake up and everything that is happening to me feels so distant like it was a few months ago, and not yesterday. Previously, it would usually only happen every couple of months over the night, but for the last three nights, it keeps repeating. I would like to say that I have no problems with drugs, marijuana, etc. I have never used. All of this I already told to my doctor but she did not take me seriously enough. They did take photos of my brain and I do not have injuries. I would also just like to mention that I have very low sugar so do not know if it could be related to my memory, my doctor advised me nothing about that, she only said that she does not know how I am alive with such low sugar, but that it did not matter because I am young. Please help.

#

First of all, a good memory needs a balanced diet, which contains all essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B complex, carbohydrates, proteins, and a small amount of fat. Moreover, some drugs like oral contraceptive pills can lead to decrease in vitamin B complex in your body. Stress, pollution, and junk food have a negative impact on memory. The brain needs glucose to work properly, but too much glucose can disturb the memory and the whole brain function.

Vitamin B complex deficiency.

Patient may have memory problems related to lifestyle.

The patient should take vitamin B complex once per day after meals and Benfotiamine 40 mg twice per day after meals.

The patient should eat healthy food and avoid too much fat, sugar, and salt in her diet.

| 

Can vitamin B12 deficiency result in unbalancing while walking?

Query: Hi doctor, Three years back, I had the problem of unbalancing while walking. I never felt any dizziness or spinning of head. I just had a feeling that I will fall down. I consulted a doctor and he told me that it was due to vitamin B12 deficiency and also prescribed me few shots of Vitcofol. Initial...  Read Full »

I forget names and have confidence problem. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old, male. I am suffering from two problems mainly which I often noticed. One is I forget always names of person, place, etc., while talking with someone. However, I have remembered a lot of things of pasts but while talking about it, I often forget the names especially....  Read Full »