Q. Can stroke cause facial droop in the lower half of the left side of my face?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

I am 34 years old and I have facial droop in the lower half of the left side of my face. It has been with me for years. I would not call it a paralysis or bells palsy as I have full control of my forehead and eyebrows, but the lower part when I talk it is noticable that the lip from the left side is way lower, and the nose as well seems lower from one side. I was wondeing what this could be, all the searches online say stroke but I am young and never had any symptoms of stroke, so what else could it be? And what would you advise me to do?

#

I would like to know some details about your symptoms:

1. When, first time, you noticed facial drop in left lower half face?

2. Did it happen suddenly? Or it happened slowly and gradually?

3. Did you had any weakness in left arm/ hand / left leg along with?

4. Had you any change in voice that time?

5. Have you ever undergone some tests for its evaluation?

6. Have you any symptom in left ear: hearing difficulty/ ear discharge/ hearing abnormal sound?

7. Have you any other significant medical history (apart from this facial droop)?

8. At what time this facial droop is most noticeable: at normal forward face look? while smiling? while speaking? while eating? while laughing?

9. Have you any difficulty in swallowing?

Revert with above mentioned information and also I suggest to make a short video of your face (in normal/ smiling/ speaking/ laughing) and upload here as attachment.

MRI Brain
ENT (ear) examination
serum ACE level
viral markers (HIV/ HBsAg/ Anti HCV antibodies)
NCV bilateral facial nerve

| 

1. I knew it by coincidence from a dermatologist 6 years ago who told me that there is some sort of assymetry in my face. It might have started even before but i dont notice it when I look at my self in the mirror.

2. As mentioned in the previous answer I knew it by coincidence so I am not really sure. 3. No 4. No 5. I have done tests less than a year ago not for the sake of its evaluation but as part as part of a check up (HIV, Syphylis , Hep B, Hep C all negative) 6. No 7. I have sinus issues and nasal septum deviation.

8. Generally, because of my nasal deviation I get a feeling that it is noticeable when looking at the nose at normal forward face look, the lip as well but the lip assymetry is more noticeable when I talk only. Smiling and eating is normal.

9. No.

#

By looking at your short video (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your lips/ nasolabial folds look bilaterally equal and symmetrical. Facial droop is not noticeable. I would like to know:

Has it improved with time (after dermatologist pointed out about it)? It is persistently same as of that time? It has worsened with time? It is good that your tests (HIV/ HBsAg, Anti HCV, Syphilis were negative).

MRI Brain,
NCV bilateral facial nerve

1. Previous bells's palsy, which might have improved now.
2. It may be normal structure of your face like this only.

2. It may be normal structure of your face.

Revert with above information and get the mentioned tests to rule out any brain pathology & to look for facial nerve conductions.

| 

Botox - a Toxin with Great Cosmetic Result for Removing Wrinkles

Article Overview: Wrinkles on the face are often due to expression, which includes frowning, concentrating or smiling. These wrinkles get deeper as we grew old, because of loss of elasticity of our skin. But, with the administration of Botulinum toxin (Botox) our facial muscles are gently relaxed and the wrinkles improve. Read Article

Cosmetologist

Botulinum toxin is a neurotoxin derived from Clostridium botulinum. There are eight distinct antigenic serotypes of exotoxins and among these only A and B are used for various medical indications. Exotoxin A is the most commonly used and it is more potent than exotoxin B. How does It work? Botulin...  Read Article

Why does my eye blink when I move my jaws?

Query: Hi doctor,My right eye automatically starts to blink whenever I used to eat something or do movements from my mouth. I checked with a doctor a few years back, they did not give me any sort of appropriate results for that. My parents also checked with some doctor in childhood and never got any result...  Read Full »

Is there any nerve regeneration treatment for Bell's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been diagnosed with Bell's palsy before 10 days. Half of my facial muscles are not working. I had swelling of the salivary gland near the ear before this issue. The MRI brain scan did not show stroke. Currently, I am on Prednisone and Valtrex. Is there any nerve regeneration treatm...  Read Full »