Q. Can Bell's palsy cause bloated stomach, frozen shoulder, and tightness in the throat?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 57 year old male, who was diagnosed with Bell's palsy about a year back. I was treated with steroids for 10 days along with antiviral medicines. I was also given Mecobalamin (Tetrafol plus) which I am still taking. I had also taken ayurvedic medicines Brihat Vatchintamani Ras, Rasraj Ras, Ashwagandha, Brahmi, and Trayodashang guggul (for shoulder pain). I was told to take Causticum 200 once a day, Biochemic Mag Phos and Kali Phos by my homeopathy doctor. My Bell's palsy is now 80 percent cured, and I can close my eye, hold water in my mouth, and puff my cheeks. However, lately, I am having some twitches in my face and sometimes in other parts of my body. I feel a burning sensation on my body. My mouth feels dry, and I feel very sleepy during the day. My stomach is bloated, have frozen shoulder, and feel tightness in my throat. My sugar level, thyroid, and BP are normal. Please help me.

#

• Fatigue is a side effect of homeopathic medicine Causticum.
  • And stomach bloating, dry mouth and tightness in the throat are the side effects of Biochemic Mag Phos.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for replying. Based on your diagnosis, what is my line of treatment? Should I drop some of the medicines? Should I start on some other medicine or treatment?

#

• I would suggest you start physical therapy on your face like facial exercises and neuromuscular training.
  • Get your vitamin B12 levels tested. If normal, then stop Mecobalamin after consulting your doctor.
  • Get an x-ray of your shoulders and CT scan of the vertebra to identify the cause of shoulder pain and treat accordingly.
  • Until then, I suggest tablet Ibuprofen or Diclofenac sodium every eight hours for the shoulder pain.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|