Q. What are the ways to manage the withdrawal symptoms of Benzodiazepine and Alprazolam?

Dr. Darakhshan
I took Benzodiazepine Alprazolam for insomnia for 2 months for a total dose of 30 mg, while stupidly attending college parties and binge drinking once a week during the period (I have never taken the pill on the day I was drinking). I did not take the drug every day and after roughly two months I quit the drug altogether, the withdrawal, that I did not recognize at the time, kicked in (Extreme tinnitus, sweating, heart racing, heightened anxiety). I went to ENT doctor and she gave me two Dexamethasone injections in 3 days (I think 8 mg). I developed during these 3 days a major loss of short term and then long term memory, trouble finding words, trouble learning in general. The physical symptoms of the steroids and benzo withdrawal went away in 2 weeks. It has now been a month since I feel physically fine, but the cognitive issues persist and they do not get better at all. I have been to a psychiatrist because I felt overwhelmed that Iam not going to be able to finish school in such a state and she gave me Escitalopram thinking it could be psychological, but there is no improvement in cognition after a months use.
Does that combination have that drastic side-effects and could it caused a chemical or structural problem in brain? What can I do to return somewhere close to my old self? I am 24 years old.
#

People taking Alprazolam should not combine it with alcohol and avoid combining it with other medications, such as narcotic pain relievers, that cause drowsiness. Doing so can cause additive drowsiness and reduced breathing as well as other side effects, which can be dangerous and possibly fatal. Alprazolam may be habit-forming when taken for long periods of time. If you have been taking this medication regularly for a long period of time (more than one month), do not stop taking the medication without speaking with your doctor. A gradual reduction in dose is recommended when stopping this medication to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Escitalopram works by blocking the reuptake of serotonin so that there is an increased level in the brain. Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter responsible for mood and well being. It is usually taken once daily and may take a few weeks to months reach maximum therapeutic potential. So continue taking Escitalopram until you see significant improvements in your memory.

| 

Please help with Alprazolam addiction.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. My weight is 68 kg. I am married and have two kids. Because, of the disturbance made by my kids, I was not able to sleep well sometimes. So, I just started taking tablet Alprazolam 0.25 mg. Now I have been trying to gradually stop taking the medicine. So, I ha...  Read Full »

Is there any alternative for Benzodiazepines in treating anxiety and PTSD?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old and suffer from severe anxiety and PTSD. For about five years, I have been on a variety of Benzodiazepines. Right now, I am on 2 mg Xanax four times a day. It is better than nothing, but I have built up such tolerance benzodiazepines hardly work for me. I know the on...  Read Full »

Alprazolam (XANAX)

Article Overview: Alprazolam is a short-acting benzodiazepine, which is used to treat anxiety and panic disorders. Learn about its side effects, contraindications, and dosage. Read Article

Dr. Divya Banu M

One of the most common medication to relieve anxiety and induce sleep is Alprazolam, which is usually found in the market with the name of Xanax. This article will explain this medication in detail and will help you to understand it in a better way. What Is Alprazolam? Chemically, it is a short-ac...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pharmacologist Now