Q. I am suffering from anxiety and PTSD. Is there any alternative for Benzodiazepines?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Published on Oct 22, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2019

I am 26 years old and suffer from severe anxiety and PTSD. For about five years, I have been on a variety of Benzodiazepines. Right now, I am on 2 mg Xanax four times a day. It is better than nothing, but I have built up such tolerance benzodiazepines hardly work for me. I know the only way to lower that tolerance is to go without benzodiazepines for a while. However, I do need something for my anxiety. The only thing I can think of is Barbiturates, which I know are similar to Benzodiazepines but are no longer medically common. Are there any alternatives or advice?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

As you rightly commented, Xanax and other Benzodiazepines are not helpful in the long term management of anxiety as they cause dependence. You become tolerant, and they do not work. At best, Benzos can be used sparingly for the short term only. Barbiturates are no longer indicated in this situation.

If you are continuing to have severe anxiety and PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder), medication like SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) will be a much better choice for long term management. Also, psychological therapy like CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) and EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) will be effective in managing your symptoms. Following a psychiatric review, your doctor will be able to advise you of appropriate options.

Also, it is important that you do not stop Benzodiazepines suddenly after taking high doses for a long period. You need to taper down gradually with medical advice to minimize unsafe withdrawal effects. I will advise you to consult your doctor for support in tapering Xanax and to consider other treatment options for your condition.

I have an anxiety problem from the past 10 years. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Anxiety is every day of my life. I rarely get small breaks without anxiety. It has been 10 years now. Panic attacks do come. I am taking Xanax 0.5 mg 1 to 3 days. I am a 26 years old male, and my height and weight are 5.9" and 80 kg respectively. Please help.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With your brief description, it appears that you are suffering from some anxiety disorder most probably generalized anxiety disorder. The drug you are taking is neither sufficient nor appropriate when we have a lot of safer and more effective drugs currently. I assure y...  Read Full

What is the treatment for PTSD, depression and anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor,What is your recommendation for someone with PTSD, depression, and anxiety?  Read Full >>

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician, Psychiatrist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If a person is suffering from PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), depression and anxiety, they will probably need a combination of medication and psychological therapy to manage their condition. Lexapro (Escitalopram) is a good antidepressant that can be helpful in...  Read Full