iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologybeta hcgCan my girlfriend be pregnant despite a negative pregnancy test report? Kindly help.

Can I rely on negative serum beta HCG test?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 5, 2022
Reviewed AtDecember 6, 2022

Patient's Query

My girlfriend has PCOS and irregular periods. We had unprotected sex two months back when she took Regestrone CR 15 mg tablet, and she got her period within three days. She underwent an hCG blood report last month, and the report was 0.10, and she did a pregnancy test and got one deep and one faint line, then after a few days, she got a full negative report. What should she do now? Is she pregnant because she has did not get her period yet?

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar

Thank you for your query.

She is not pregnant as her serum beta hCG test, the most confirmatory and specific test for pregnancy is negative with the beta hCG levels less than 5mIU. As she took a Regestrone CR 15 mg tablet, her menses is expected to be delayed by 10 to 15 days in most cases as a side effect. But you were offered the tablet Meprate again, and now you should expect a withdrawal bleeding in the next few days. The pain in the abdomen and low back ache could be part of premenstrual symptoms. Pregnancy is ruled out as the serum beta hCG test is negative. Urine pregnancy test kits can sometimes vary and offer false positive results.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

Patient's Query

Thank you for your reply.

I have attached all her pregnancy test reports. She took Meprate 10 for eight days but did not get her periods, and her pre-menstruation symptoms stopped today.

Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar

She is not pregnant. However, if you wish to be doubly sure, then you may repeat the serum beta hCG test, and if the hCG levels are less than 5mIU, then she is undoubtedly not pregnant.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

beta hcgunprotected sex

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy