Q. What is the reason for slow rise of hCG?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife went through sequential IVF 23 days back. I am attaching her hCG reports. Kindly check them. Thank you.

#

• Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is produced during pregnancy. It is a hormone that supports pregnancy by allowing for the production of progesterone.
  • There is sequential rise in hCG (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which suggests pregnancy and it can be confirmed by ultrasonography.
  • Non-pregnant levels are below 5 mIU/mL.
  • Just be careful not to be overstressed, avoid lifting any heavy weights, continue with your medicines and follow-ups regularly.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Here we are worried about the hCG level count. Is this a normal growth or ectopic or tubal? Can you please tell us the reason for this slow growth?

#

Thanks for your feedback.

• The hCG levels should increase by at least 53% every two days. There is a wide variation on the normal range of hCG.
  • Since values are still rising so I do not think there is any problem although it is slow which could be due to delayed Implantation in some cases or due ectopic pregnancy.
  • The normal levels of hCG, 3 weeks after your LMP (last menstrual period) is 5 to 50 mIU/mL. Levels peak at about 12 weeks of pregnancy and reach about 300,000 mIU/mL and then peak off. So, as such there is nothing to worry about.
  • A transvaginal ultrasound examination is the best tool right now to confirm this is an ongoing pregnancy and to rule out ectopic or tubal pregnancy to clear the doubt.
  • You can check for heart beat of fetus which usually is seen 23 to 24 days after embryo transfer by transvaginal ultrasound and in 1 month by transabdominal ultrasound.

Revert back after the investigation to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|