Q. Does beta hCG of 2 indicate pregnancy?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan
Published on May 05, 2018

I had my beta hCG done yesterday. It came as 2.00. I had sex recently. Eight months ago, when I had done the same test, my beta hCG was less than 0.1. Why this increase from 0.1 to 2? Is it because I can be pregnant and the hCG is increasing gradually? Or there are other reasons as well which increases it? I wanted to ask this because I am also experiencing early pregnancy symptoms like morning sickness, vomiting, a bit of back pain as well. My appetite is down.

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

A beta hCG level which is increased indicates a possibility of pregnancy. You need to do a USG scan to look for evidence of fetus in the uterus. Also, you need to repeat a beta hCG level after a week from the date of first test increasing levels definitely are significant.

Meet a gynecologist at the earliest. Do not use any home remedies or emergency contraception pills as they can cause serious side effects.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

So, this increased beta hCG indicates that this is the start of pregnancy? No other reason is possible for this increase?

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Internal Medicine
#

Yes, but please also do a repeat hCG level from the same lab and an ultrasound to confirm.

| 

Does my beta hCG report indicate that I am pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my last period a month ago. I had an unprotected sexual intercourse with my partner three days later that is on the third day of my last period. But, he did not ejaculate inside me. Typically, my period lasts for two to three days only. He did not use any protection nor did I ta...  Read Full »

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »

Is spotting due to I-pill or early pregnancy symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor,I had unprotected sex five month back and took I-pill within 12 to 14 hours. I have done home tests on the sixth and ninth day which were negative. I had brown spotting on the 13th day and some spotting today as well. My last period was ten days before having sex. Is the spotting due to th...  Read Full »