Q. I am 6 months pregnant. I have beta thalassemia. Please help.

Published on Jul 01, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 24 year old female. I am 6 months pregnant. My hemoglobin level is 8.3g/dL and I have heterozygous state of beta thalassemia. My doctor has advised for blood transfusion. Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Welcome to iciniq.com.  

• The beta thalassemia carrier state, which results from heterozygosity for beta thalassemia, is clinically asymptomatic and is defined by specific hematological features.
  • Considering that you are 6 months pregnant and your hemoglobin is 8.3 g/dL  indicates moderate anaemia.
  • At this stage still blood transfusion is not recommended as per guidelines.
  • You may have parenteral iron sucrose therapy which can easily bring your hemoglobin levels to 11 g/dL, which is an acceptable limit during pregnancy and then at 38 weeks if still your hemoglobin is less, then blood transfusion may be considered for you.
  • Presently it is not indicated, though it is safe.

Wishing you good health.

Consult a gynaecologist online for further follow up -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for your advice.

My doctor said that blood transfusion can be harmful as I have beta thalassemia and any iron dose can damage my liver and kidneysIs that so? Please advise.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The reason it is safe is because it is a heterozygous state and hence you are a carrier and a thalassemia minor case. On the other hand blood transfusion is the main stay in cases of thalassemia major cases. So, it can be given safely.
  • Secondly iron sucrose is not known to cause liver damage at all, it increases the hemoglobin levels naturally and if required can be combined with recombinant erythropoietin as well to hasten the hemoglobin response.
  • Iron parenterally has to be given in a systematic form after calculating the deficiency and then the total amount of dose required to meet a target haemoglobin of 12g/dL.
  • It is to be administered on alternate days with a maximum dose of 200mg in a day to prevent any iron overload.
  • So, there are no specific risks especially because of beta thalassemia as compared to a normal iron deficient woman.

For further questions, consult a gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

How long does it take for hemoglobin to improve after blood transfusion?

Query: Hello doctor,I did my blood test. The hemoglobin is astonishingly low at 4.1. I did ferritin test and B12 test and the results are attached. Blood transfusion was done - one bottle. The hemoglobin increase to 5.5, but again reduced to 5.1. I have a fever on and off. What problem do I have? I am feel...  Read Full »