Q. My friend has been asked to go for blood transfusion for dengue. Why?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez
Published on Oct 17, 2017

My friend has a blood count of 32,000 cells/cu mm. He has been suffering from dengue for four days. He is admitted to a hospital for the same. The doctors are saying to conduct a blood transfusion. I am not sure what that is. Kindly reply.

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

#

• In dengue infection, the platelets are destroyed and thus cause a low platelet count.
  • It is not advised to transfuse platelets to a patient who has a platelet count of more than 10 thousand. However, if the physician feels there is a need for transfusion, then he should explain the reason to the family.

Hope your friend recovers soon, without having to go through a platelet transfusion.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Chikungunya, a Re-emerging Viral Fever

Article Overview: This article explains about chikungunya and how to protect ourselves from being infected with this disease. Read Article

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati
General Medicine Physician

There are many diseases that occur due to mosquito bite. Malaria, elephantiasis, Nile virus, chikungunya and dengue fever are the most common. These are known as mosquito-borne diseases. Chikungunya is caused by chikungunya virus. This infection lasts for 2 to 12 days. But, the pain may last for a ...  Read Article

Dengue Fever? Do Not Panic! | Home Remedies for Dengue

Article Overview: The monsoon season in tropical countries has brought back with it the next outbreak of dengue, creating fear and panic in the minds of the people. Read Article

Dr. Dipak Sopan Patade

In developing countries with a tropical climate, the death toll due to seasonal outbreaks of infectious diseases is on the rise. The hospital wards are full of patients diagnosed with various tropical infections and dengue surpasses them all. Its prevalence is much higher than the data provided by h...  Read Article

I have fever, red rashes, and low platelet count. Is it dengue fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who weighs 24 kg and 5.3 feet tall. I have had a fever since last week. The fever was between 38 to 40o C. I also had headaches and lower back pain. Today I got tested for dengue, but that was negative. However, on my torso, neck, and face, there are these red r...  Read Full »