Q. My friend has been asked to go for blood transfusion for dengue. Why?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

My friend has a blood count of 32,000 cells/cu mm. He has been suffering from dengue for four days. He is admitted to a hospital for the same. The doctors are saying to conduct a blood transfusion. I am not sure what that is. Kindly reply.

#

• In dengue infection, the platelets are destroyed and thus cause a low platelet count.
  • It is not advised to transfuse platelets to a patient who has a platelet count of more than 10 thousand. However, if the physician feels there is a need for transfusion, then he should explain the reason to the family.

Hope your friend recovers soon, without having to go through a platelet transfusion.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|