Which uterine abnormality is responsible for my miscarriages, arcuate or bicornuate uterus?

Q. Based on the hysteroscopy and MRI, please suggest whether I have arcuate or bicornuate uterus.

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2022

Hello doctor,

I would like to get a third opinion in regard to categorizing which uterine abnormality I possess. The initial doctor said it is arcuate. My current doctor thinks it is bicornuate but I am going to do a 3D ultrasound in the middle of my next cycle to get a better idea. I have MRI and hysteroscopy photos to provide. I have had two missed miscarriages, the last one hemorrhaged two days before going septic and sent me to the ER for five days. I have also been diagnosed with a placental site nodule on my right side where both pregnancies have been. Could my problem be surgically corrected?

Currently, we are going through genetic, blood clotting disorder, and menstrual cycle/hormone monitoring. Genetic counselor said low risk for any genetic causes but is still waiting to complete the blood tests which should be done in four weeks, same for the blood clotting tests.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Having gone through the MRI pelvis and hysteroscopy pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is evident that you have a bicornuate uterus with a single cervical opening and it is not a septate uterus or an arcuate uterus. Two different horns of uterus are evident on MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), indicating the bicornuate abnormality.

The option which you have is called Straussman's operation where both the horns can be cut in the centre and joined to make a single uterine cavity. You may discuss the option with your gynecologist and make a decision.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Either Mirena or hysterectomy, which is better for irregular periods?

My history includes two cesarean sections, PCOS, adenomyosis, dysmenorrhea and amenorrhea ... Previous surgeries and adenomyosis is not a problem if your surgeon is competent enough to do such su   Read full

Why am I having frequent miscarriages?

A hormonal imbalance like polycystic ovaries need hormonal support like Duphaston and Metformin during pregnancy for maintenance ... It is better to have an early booking with maternal medicine and high risk   Read full

My wife had three miscarriages. What should we do to have a healthy baby?

My wife conceived thrice, but all the times, the pregnancy got aborted in the second month ...   She can take these measures in the next pregnancy if she had missed any in the previous ones: Sta   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.