Q. My wife had three miscarriages. What should we do to have a healthy baby?

Answered by
Dr. Aparna M Sathawane
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2017

Hello doctor,

I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is 28 years old. She has PCOD. We have been trying for a baby for the past three and a half years. My wife conceived thrice, but all the times, the pregnancy got aborted in the second month. We have checked with infertility specialists in my area. We both have conducted all the related tests, and my count is normal. I do not know how to proceed further. What should be done now? What are the precautions we must take? Kindly advise.

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Childbirth Educator Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and understand your concern regarding your wife's recurrent miscarriages

  • She can take these measures in the next pregnancy if she had missed any in the previous ones:
  1. Start taking Folic Acid 5 mcg once a day and tablet Ecosprin (Aspirin) 75 mcg once a day pre-pregnancy.
  2. Once pregnancy is confirmed, consult an expert gynecologist near you.
  3. Start Progesterone therapy and HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) injections as early as possible to support the pregnancy.
  4. Ask her to take enough rest at home.
  5. Make sure her thyroid and sugar levels are under control.
  6. Start taking injections of low molecular weight Heparin 40 mg subcutaneously on thigh every other day after confirmation of the pregnancy.
  7. Go for a prophylactic cervical cerclage, where a stich is put at the mouth of the uterus to reduce chances of a second-trimester abortion.
  8. After the completion of 12 weeks, go for an NT scan.
  9. If her endometrial thickness is less, she can have estrogen supplements.

These are some measures to reduce the chances of repeated abortions. You must have tried some of these in the past, but you need to try it again for a successful pregnancy.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I got my periods a day after a positive pregnancy test. What just happened?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been trying to conceive for some time now. This month I was put on hCG injections and egg formation. Everything was done on time and my periods date was 30th. I did a pregnancy test at home yesterday and it gave a faint line and I am attaching the photo. Today, I got my periods t...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a way to control continuous abnormal vaginal bleeding.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 45 years old. Since last month, she has had continuous abnormal vaginal bleeding. She has been prescribed by doctor Deviry 10 mg twice a day. Even after one week of medication, no improvement has been seen. Please help.  Read Full »

Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have MTHFR and PAI mutations. My doctor recommended me to take Folic acid. I read it should be avoided during MTHFR pregnancies. Along with that I am on Prozac and Euthyrox. What do you think? What should I do? Please help.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.