Q. As I am going to travel abroad, how to keep the schedule of my birth control pills?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2021

I am currently taking my regular birth control pill every night at 8 PM. I am going to be traveling abroad where it is 7 hours ahead so that would be 3 AM there. Can I move up my regular time to 6.30 PM to take my pills at 1 AM there?

#

There are two types of birth control pills. Common combined pills and progesterone only pills.

• Probably you are on common pills, and there will be no issue if you switch over the time regarding the point of contraception. But keep in mind, there is a rare possibility of spotting for a few days.
  • But if you are on POPs, the scenario is different and a strict time schedule is need to be maintained.

In that case, I suggest you double the dosing of pills on the change over days, and this will help to keep the schedule with respect to its contraceptive efficacy.

But one point is clear for both types. You need to be regular for rest of the days without any miss.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|