Q. I skipped my birth control pill and started spotting. How to manage?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 09, 2021

I went abroad a few days after my period ended. I start birth control on the last day or the day after the last usually. On the second day of my vacation, I started spotting and that has lasted till now. It has been about 10 days. I have been taking my birth control throughout. I only just got back. What could this be? Please help. How do I go about with my next cycle of birth control? Will my period be normal? Also, I have not had sex during this entire situation. The mistake I did is that I skipped a couple of birth control pills as soon as my holiday started and then I tried to make up for it by taking two on the same day.

#

You are experiencing a breakthrough bleeding occurring due to missing your pills and also probably due to not taking them on time.

If it is a combined oral contraceptive pill, then it should be started from day 2 or 3 of your cycle ideally.

So, the best is to stop the pill pack now and wait for your withdrawal bleed to start in the next seven days and then you can start the fresh pack from day 2 of your next cycle.

Till then, you may use barrier contraception to prevent any pregnancy and if the bleeding is discomforting, then you can use antifibrinolytics for three days to stop it completely as well.

The pills should be taken on time and regularly to avoid such breakthrough episodes, ideally.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|