Q. Is there a way to dilate an obstructed nose without surgery?

Answered by
Dr. Mehak Agarwal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2020

Hi doctor,

My baby girl is 3 weeks old and she has a problem with her right nose. She cannot breathe and the physicians said me that it is an obstruction but not an imperforation. The physicians tried to aspire and the secretions are gelatin. The secretion is bacteriologically negative. The next step is to dilate surgically with a thicker tube in nose. Is there any tube to dilate this nose without surgery? I am looking forward to your answer. Please help.



Welcome to

  • With the details you have provided it seems like unilateral choanal atresia (blockage of nasal passage).
  • Choanal atresia can be unilateral or bilateral also can be bony or membranous. It is a congenital problem that is from birth.
  •  In unilateral, if membranous then we need to dilate using tubes and in case of bony we have to remove the bone. If bilateral immediately surgery is required as baby after birth cannot breath at all.
  • Since your baby has sterile discharge (no bacterias) it seems to be unilateral choanal atresia. Confirmation can be done by CT scan.
  • If diagnosis is choanal atresia then tube is the solution. Use of fibroblasts has also shown some improvement but it is still under study.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->

Hi doctor,

Our physician said that it is not unilateral choanal atresia. With difficulty they passed a thin tube, but when they tried to use a thicker tube, it did not pass through. Still my baby cannot breathe with the right nose. I have a few questions. Can a CT scan done at this age?



Welcome back to

  • Please send me reports of your baby. Whatever the doctor said, I need to know the diagnosis to suggest you anything.
  • If the diagnosis is not confirmed and baby has right-sided nose block and discharge since birth then according to me it should be choanal atresia.
  • Only CT can confirm the diagnosis. Yes, CT can be done in your baby.

Revert back with the reports to an ENT otolaryngologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is surgery needed for blocked nose and enlargement of nasal bone?

.. posting your query. I have seen the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Surgery is not absolutely essential. A three weeks course of antibiotics along with nasal decongestants can be tried. Based on the relief from s...   Read full

My CT scan done for back issues revealed a kidney stone. What should I do?

.. not worry as the kidney stone is small in size and non-obstructive. No medicines are required at all. Just drink plenty of fluids and the stone would pass easily. I hope it helps you. If you have any further queries, please ask me. For more infor...   Read full

Kindly advise treatment for blocked nose due to allergy.

.. gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concern. A blocked nose can be from an infection of upper respiratory tract also. If you have a fever and throat pain along with the blocked nose, then it is due to some infection...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

The New COVID Variant From South Africa (Omicron)
The World Health Organisation has enlisted Omicron to be a variant of concern. Just scroll down the article to know abou...  Read more»
Managing Diabetes During Festive Season
All the festivals are indirectly a danger sign for diabetic patients. Read this article to know more about how to handle...  Read more»
What You Should Eat and Drink for A Healthy Life!!
Food is essential for our survival, and what we eat definitely impacts our health. We can easily reduce the risk of many...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.