Q. Is there a way to dilate an obstructed nose without surgery?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 04, 2020

My baby girl is 3 weeks old and she has a problem with her right nose. She cannot breathe and the physicians said me that it is an obstruction but not an imperforation. The physicians tried to aspire and the secretions are gelatin. The secretion is bacteriologically negative. The next step is to dilate surgically with a thicker tube in nose. Is there any tube to dilate this nose without surgery? I am looking forward to your answer. Please help.

#

• With the details you have provided it seems like unilateral choanal atresia (blockage of nasal passage).
  • Choanal atresia can be unilateral or bilateral also can be bony or membranous. It is a congenital problem that is from birth.
  •  In unilateral, if membranous then we need to dilate using tubes and in case of bony we have to remove the bone. If bilateral immediately surgery is required as baby after birth cannot breath at all.
  • Since your baby has sterile discharge (no bacterias) it seems to be unilateral choanal atresia. Confirmation can be done by CT scan.
  • If diagnosis is choanal atresia then tube is the solution. Use of fibroblasts has also shown some improvement but it is still under study.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Our physician said that it is not unilateral choanal atresia. With difficulty they passed a thin tube, but when they tried to use a thicker tube, it did not pass through. Still my baby cannot breathe with the right nose. I have a few questions. Can a CT scan done at this age?

#

• Please send me reports of your baby. Whatever the doctor said, I need to know the diagnosis to suggest you anything.
  • If the diagnosis is not confirmed and baby has right-sided nose block and discharge since birth then according to me it should be choanal atresia.
  • Only CT can confirm the diagnosis. Yes, CT can be done in your baby.

Revert back with the reports to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|