Q. What is the solution for short neck?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on May 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am having short neck since birth. I am attaching my recent x-ray report with this post. Kindly help me out in understanding my condition. What particular solution would you suggest for the same? I also came across cervical traction devices. Will they help in my case? Please explain.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have gone through the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The condition you have is called as block vertebrae or congenital fusion of cervical vertebrae.
  • This is most likely a congenital problem. That means this is present right from the birth.
  • Other than cosmetic issues this may sometimes compress nerves and produce weakness or numbness.
  • Traction devices will be of little help. Unless this gives you any specific trouble like weakness or numbness, there is no need to meddle with this.

For further information consult a spine surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-surgeon

Osteoporosis: an Important Public Health Problem

Article Overview: Osteoporosis is a problem that is largely preventable. This article focuses on the causes of osteoporosis and the available treatment modalities. Read Article

Dr. Alok Vinod Kulkarni

Osteoporosis refers to a reduction in bone strength. The defining characteristics of a bone include its strength and quality. Osteoporosis can affect the strength, quality or both the characteristics. Osteoporosis is a major cause of pathological fractures in postmenopausal women and the elderly. Al...  Read Article

I put scotch tape on penis to regenerate foreskin. Will my babies have birth defects?

Query: Hello doctor, To make a long story short, I used scotch tape and micropore tape respectively on my penis. Two straps of tape were attached to the penis in the form of a cross, so that they met in the tip of the penis' head, while the ends went all the way down to the skin of the shaft. This allowed...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I could not understand what made you do this practice and what benefit would you expect in this practice? There are no scientific studies available to support using this practice. Let me give my opinion. First of all, the mucous membrane is one of the highly sensit...  Read Full

Can cervical disc bulge lead to arm numbness?

Query: Hi doctor, My right arm is numb from the elbow to the wrist and sometime I feel like getting electric shock inside. About 29 years ago, I got my C4/C5 lower disc removed. I have neck and back pain too and for which I am taking Lyrica now. I had an MRI and the report is as follows. Tight cervical sp...  Read Full >>

Dr. Piyush Jakal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your complaints it is clear that you are suffering from prolapsed intervertebral disc in cervical region. The prolapsed disc is compressing your spinal nerve roots of arm. I request you to kindly attach MRI images. Most likely it appears from your symptoms that you w...  Read Full

Ask a Spine Surgeon Now