Q. What is the solution for short neck?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on May 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am having short neck since birth. I am attaching my recent x-ray report with this post. Kindly help me out in understanding my condition. What particular solution would you suggest for the same? I also came across cervical traction devices. Will they help in my case? Please explain.

#

I have gone through the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The condition you have is called as block vertebrae or congenital fusion of cervical vertebrae.
  • This is most likely a congenital problem. That means this is present right from the birth.
  • Other than cosmetic issues this may sometimes compress nerves and produce weakness or numbness.
  • Traction devices will be of little help. Unless this gives you any specific trouble like weakness or numbness, there is no need to meddle with this.

For further information consult a spine surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-surgeon

|