Q. What is the solution for short neck?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on May 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I am having short neck since birth. I am attaching my recent x-ray report with this post. Kindly help me out in understanding my condition. What particular solution would you suggest for the same? I also came across cervical traction devices. Will they help in my case? Please explain.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have gone through the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The condition you have is called as block vertebrae or congenital fusion of cervical vertebrae.
  • This is most likely a congenital problem. That means this is present right from the birth.
  • Other than cosmetic issues this may sometimes compress nerves and produce weakness or numbness.
  • Traction devices will be of little help. Unless this gives you any specific trouble like weakness or numbness, there is no need to meddle with this.

For further information consult a spine surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-surgeon

| 

Osteoporosis: an Important Public Health Problem

Article Overview: Osteoporosis is a problem that is largely preventable. This article focuses on the causes of osteoporosis and the available treatment modalities. Read Article

Dr. Alok Vinod Kulkarni

Osteoporosis refers to a reduction in bone strength. The defining characteristics of a bone include its strength and quality. Osteoporosis can affect the strength, quality or both the characteristics. Osteoporosis is a major cause of pathological fractures in postmenopausal women and the elderly. Al...  Read Article

I put scotch tape on penis to regenerate foreskin. Will my babies have birth defects?

Query: Hello doctor, To make a long story short, I used scotch tape and micropore tape respectively on my penis. Two straps of tape were attached to the penis in the form of a cross, so that they met in the tip of the penis' head, while the ends went all the way down to the skin of the shaft. This allowed...  Read Full »

Is arm numbness a symptom of cervical disc bulge?

Query: Hi doctor, My right arm is numb from the elbow to the wrist and sometime I feel like getting electric shock inside. About 29 years ago, I got my C4/C5 lower disc removed. I have neck and back pain too and for which I am taking Lyrica now. I had an MRI and the report is as follows. Tight cervical sp...  Read Full »

Ask a Spine Surgeon Now