Q. I had an abortion seven months back. Why do I still have black colored periods?

I had an abortion seven months back. I have been having black colored periods bleeding from the last three months. The bleeding is black on all the days of the periods.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing? That is quite a short history. Having black or altered blood in the first few months after abortion is common. We have to rule out the following possibilities.

Get a pelvic scan to rule out any endometrial polyps or any uterine masses or any endometrial pathology. This polyp may be from the cervix projecting into the vagina causing such symptoms.

Rule out a possibility of a second pregnancy, so get a home urine pregnancy test done. It may be early pregnancy bleeding. Hope you are not using any other hormonal pills.

If you have a lot of vaginal discharge, itching, foul smell, then it might be a vaginal infection. In such a case, I suggest a course of antibiotics. Vaginal infection can cause a lot of spotting or altered blood loss.

If your periods are associated with severe abdominal pain, then it could be endometriosis, which will be corrected only with hormone pills or by getting pregnant. It can be diagnosed with physical examination and using pelvic scans. During the examination, the cervix can be evaluated, and Pap smear can also be taken.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back. All the best.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »

After abortion, my wife is bleeding from anus. How to manage?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife was admitted to hospital due to incomplete abortion and dengue fever NS1 reactive. She had 6 weeks pregnancy. Doctor has done surgical abortion and it was found dengue fever after blood test. She was admitted for three days. Her initial platelet count was 150000 and later 180000, ...  Read Full »

Can I conceive naturally after endometriosis surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I have been trying to conceive for a year with endometriosis on ovary. My husband is 32 and normal. My AMH is 1.85. I am planning to get laparoscopic surgery. Can laparoscopic surgery reduce my AMH further more? What should I do?  Read Full »