Q. I am in my early stage of pregnancy with dry cough. Please help.

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 23, 2020

My last period was on 25th February 2020. I have done urine test twice at home and it is positive and I do have other symptoms of pregnancy. I am sure that I am pregnant. Due to Corona situation, I am afraid to get out and do other tests and see the doctor.

I do have a dry cough for the last one month and some time with white mucus. Mostly when I eat rice, and spicy food my cough starts. I have called a gynecologist and she told me to have Adovas after lunch and Duvent (Rupatadine 10 mg) after dinner for seven days. After seven days, I called her and told her that I feel a little better but not stopped coughing and she advise me to take Adovas only three times a day. I did and it did not help me at all.

I called her again and she advises Montelukast 10 mg after dinner and its also not working. It has been four days since I took Montelukast and I feel like I need to deep breath when I take it. I have only cough, no fever, no pain, no breathing problem, no headaches, and no running nose. As you know in this Corona situation I cannot go out with a cough to get other tests or see a doctor for my pregnancy advice and lab test. Would you please help me advising good medicine so my cough stops.

Other than the above, I am taking Folic Acid 5 mg two times moring and evening as she told me do I need to take anything else for my pregnancy at this moment. Please help.

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Let me tell you in the first three months of pregnancy vomiting sensation, gaseous state, mood swings, breast, and back pain are common. I understand it is not possible to have a consultation now.

For cough, do stream inhalation three times a day, tablet Azithromycin 500 mg twice daily for five days, syrup Dextromethorphan / Guaiphenesin combination 5 ml twice daily for five days. (We get it as syrup Ascoril in India). You will be fine.

Folic acid is a must once a day till your pregnancy, and tablet Doxinate (Doxylamine) twice daily before food will prevent nausea and vomiting.

| 

Whether mild spotting a sign of pregnancy or period?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old. I am trying to conceive for the second time. I have a 3-year-old son and it was a natural birth. I am not on any medication. My period was always regular and I get them every month. But about 3 months ago, my period days changed from the beginning of the month to ...  Read Full »

My symptoms include dry cough, headache, body pain and nausea. Please help me.

Query: Hi doctor,The problem started out with a dry cough. The next day, I had achy bones and headache. It seemed like it was going away and came back the day after when I woke up feeling like throwing up. My eyes, chest and upper back aches with a feeling of nausea. Please help me. I am scared.  Read Full »

I have a dry cough which gets worse at night. Please suggest a cure.

Query: Hi doctor,I am 10 weeks pregnant and have developed a chesty dry cough. It is particularly bad when I lie down to sleep at night. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?  Read Full »