Q. What does bloody mucus in stool suggest?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 09, 2021

When I am using the restroom, I saw bloody mucus in my stool. What does it mean? Recently, I suffered with diarrhea and black stools. I had treatment for diarrhea and having bloody mucus in stools. Currently, I am taking gastric tablets and medicines to control diarrhea.

#

I can understand your concern and worry about the severity of the situation.

Loose stool along with increased frequency of stool (6 to7 times per day), mucus and occasional episodes of bleeding suggest inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease) involving large intestine.

In this condition, an inner layer of the large intestine becomes inflamed. There will be redness and swelling. Thus produce mucus and liquid consistency of stool secondary to poor absorption of nutrients.

In severe cases, bleeding might occur due to development of ulcer in the inflamed part of the large intestine.

Colonoscopy with biopsy, CBC (complete blood count), stool examination routine and culture.

Inflammatory bowel disease.

Medical treatment for disease. Surgery might require if no response from medical treatment or progression of disease.

Revert back with the reports to a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|