Q. How can blackheads be treated?

Dr. Rabia

I would like to know why people have blackheads and when you try to remove it, it creates acne and blemishes on the cheeks and mouth area. It is concerning my skin on my face. I have been feeling insecure about my skin later due to the blemishes and acne on it. I get a lot of blackhead on my cheeks and jawlines. Moreover, I get a little bump rising when I wash my face or when I exfoliate it with natural exfoliators. Whenever I try to remove the blackheads, it gives me blemishes and acne scars which really bothers me.

#

Acne is related to sebaceous glands. Some individuals have acne prone skin in which normal follicles becomes clogged with keratin, sebum, organisms, etc., resulting in blackheads formation. When inflammation occurs blackheads convert to pimples and bigger pimples lead to cyst and nodule formation. Treatment of acne is important because it can lead to scarring if not treated early and properly. Its treatment starts with oral and topical antibiotics. For blackheads and whiteheads recommended treatment is topical Retinoid. Do you have oily skin or dry skin? I will suggest you start with antibiotics and at night time topical retinoid.

Acne vulgaris.

Tablet Azithromycin 250 mg BD for the first three days, then on alternate days for three weeks. Apply Clindamycin lotion over the lesions BD, apply Tretinoin gel plus cold cream at night on the whole face in small quantity.

Wash face with mild soap and water. Avoid using irritants. Use sunblock SPF 60, moisturizer if skin gets dry.

|