Why do my bladder pain and pressure worsen on holding more than 200 ml of urine in my bladder?

Q. How can a 32-year-old male with urinary problems overcome the bladder pain and pressure?

Answered by
Dr. Sandip Pramanik
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 01, 2022 and last reviewed on: Aug 25, 2023

Hello doctor,

I am a 32-year-old male with some ongoing urinary problems. Over the past 18 months, I have experienced mild to moderate pain and pressure in my bladder. It worsens if I try to hold my urine, and it is almost always noticeable when I have more than 200 ml of urine in my bladder. Hence, I go to the bathroom twice as often as I used to, especially when I try to hydrate well. This discomfort causes me to wake up once or twice a night. I have learned to manage it by not drinking water three to four hours before bed, but I still wake up at least once. Also, I am usually dehydrated by morning, even when I drink three to four liters of water daily. My previous findings are listed below:

  1. A comprehensive blood panel shows no abnormalities.
  2. Glucose levels show no diabetes.
  3. PSA shows no indication of prostate enlargement. No digital rectal examination has been performed.
  4. Urinalysis shows no unusual readings or indications of UTI.
  5. Post-void ultrasound shows no remaining fluid in the bladder.
  6. I do not have any incontinence.
  7. There is no blood in the urine.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The symptoms you have referred to are lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). You are having mixed LUTS, which means storage and voiding symptoms. These things at this age are usually due to CP or CPPS (chronic prostatitis or chronic pelvic pain syndrome). You need to visit your local urologist for a digital rectal examination. You need symptomatic treatment with alpha-blockers. In addition, you need pelvic floor muscle training. All these need demonstrations and proper explanations. So physical visit to a urologist is mandatory for further management.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I get blood in urine in Foley's catheter placed for urinary retention. Why?

.. your query, I will answer first your questions step by step. For you doubt regarding, could the tip of the catheter be grating at the bladder wall and causing bleeding. Yes, but chances are minute and the amount of blood is also less.   Read full

I am getting pain in penis and tingling sensation in testicles. Please help.

My thoughts are possibly pudendal neuralgia or interstitial cystitis, as my mom has IC ... IC (interstitial cystitis- painful bladder)   Read full

I am experiencing pain while urinating but all tests are normal. What could be the reason?

Hi doctor, I am a first year BDS student. I have tremors in my hands whenever I apply force or hold an object with some pressure. I want to become an oral and maxillofacial surgeon or orthodontics. Can I become a dentist despite these tremors?   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.