Bladder Pain Syndrome

"Interstitial cystitis also called painful bladder syndrome is a chronic condition marked by bladder pressure, bladder pain, and sometimes pelvic pain. The symptoms include pain in the pelvis or between the vagina and anus in women, pain between the scrotum and anus in men, chronic pelvic pain, a persistent, urgent need to urinate, and frequent urination (up to 60 times a day), and pain during sex. Treatment consists of physical therapy, oral medications, nerve stimulation, and bladder distention.


Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am having difficulty in urination along with bladder pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have difficulty passing urine along with pain in the bladder. Kindly help. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Mayank Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Your symptoms are not elaborate. Still, I can make two diagnoses: either you have a urinary tract infection or a urinary bladder stone. If the pain is colicky, you can have Drotaverine 40 mg three times a day, along with Aceclofenac 50 mg. It will relieve pain and sp...  Read Full »

What could cause pain while urinating and also when bladder is full?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old. For the past two months, I have been experiencing pain while urinating and I also have pain when my bladder is full. I had taken a urine test and the test said I had an infection for which I was given antibiotics. The pain has come down, but a mild pain is still p...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Usual causes of such symptoms include urinary tract infection (UTI) or urinary stones (renal stones). When routine tests turn out to be normal, a frequency volume diary may be made. Next would be a urine flow test and a sonography for residual urine volume. If these ar...  Read Full »

My sister suffers a lot due to frequent urination. Is it good to take Cystopen for it?

Query: Hi doctor, My sister is 20 years old. She has a problem of frequent urination. She has to urinate numerous times. She has undergone cystoscopy and urodynamics test. She has a small and weak bladder with 350 mL capacity. But, the reason behind frequent urination has to be diagnosed still. The doctor ...  Read Full »

Dr. Desai Santosh Badaku

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. I went through your sister's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your sister's uroflow study shows an average flow rate of 13.5 mL per second (normal more than 15 mL per second) and a desire to micturate and bladder cap...  Read Full »

What are the possible causes for the difficulty in urinating?

Query: Hello¬†doctor,I have had a difficulty urinating since more than five months. I have had UTI in the past. I know this time it is not an infection as I do not have any pain or stinging. I feel my bladder is full and I feel a discomfort as I cannot empty it. I drink enough water. I have had bladder and...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I think you are suffering from interstitial cystitis or bladder pain syndrome. It is a diagnosis of exclusion. So, when you visit your urologist, you should talk to him about this possibility. He may advise cystoscopy to rule out other causes. I suggest you ...  Read Full »

I have had a constant burning sensation while urinating for weeks. How do I treat it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a constant burning sensation during urination for weeks now. I have had many kidney infections and urinary tract infections and went to the hospital, and they could not find anything wrong. It is a burning sensation that does not go away. There is no history of STIs and I am no...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thank you for consulting with us. This can be interstitial cystitis, and urine will show no infection, but still, there can be a burning sensation in passing urine and increased frequency of urination. The diagnosis will be confirmed by flexible cystoscopy and bladder ...  Read Full »

Why do my bladder pain and pressure worsen on holding more than 200 ml of urine in my bladder?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old male with some ongoing urinary problems. Over the past 18 months, I have experienced mild to moderate pain and pressure in my bladder. It worsens if I try to hold my urine, and it is almost always noticeable when I have more than 200 ml of urine in my bladder. Hence...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandip Pramanik

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The symptoms you have referred to are lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). You are having mixed LUTS, which means storage and voiding symptoms. These things at this age are usually due to CP or CPPS (chronic prostatitis or chronic pelvic pain syndrome). You need to v...  Read Full »

Will Opiates be helpful in interstitial cystitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with IC over a year ago, and at first, the pain was manageable. Now, my flares have gotten worse, especially during my cycle. I have pelvic pain, back pain, and urethral pain, all of which are five times worse during periods. I have been working with my urogynecologist wi...  Read Full »

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I feel sorry about your health condition. Interstitial cystitis is a chronic bladder condition that causes recurring bouts of pain and pressure in the bladder and pelvic area, often accompanied by an urgent and frequent need to urinate. There is no exact cause for it...  Read Full »

What can cause the penis to tingle?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old sexually active male. I have been with the same girl for the past 10 years and we are loyal in the relationship. I am having a ton of issues and pain in my lower region. The symptoms are lower back pain, pain in my pubic region, pain and tingling in my testicles, burnin...  Read Full »

Dr. Raman Tanwar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your symptoms do point towards chronic prostatitis. With negative culture and positive pus cells, it is likely that you are suffering from CPPS IIIA, which is non-bacterial inflammatory chronic prostatitis. Now, this is a difficult condition to manage and requires long-...  Read Full »

I have been diagnosed with overactive bladder. Is that right?

Query: Hello doctor,I have a problem with overactive bladder and bladder pain. My doctor prescribed me Lioresal. Is the diagnosis correct and can I try with Lioresal? I am afraid of side effects and full urine retention. This is my last medical report showing on palpation, the prostate was not suspicious. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your query and would like to know a few more details about your symptoms. 1. Is your predominant complaint that of increased frequency or weak urinary stream? 2. Do you have any discomfort in the region between your scrotum and anal opening? From ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.