Q. Is it normal to have constant brown bleeding after miscarriage?

Dr. J. N. Naidu

A month ago, I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks after a blighted ovum pregnancy. I did not take any medication, only Paracetamol. The bleeding stopped at three weeks. I had a break for a week, and last week I started bleeding again, brown, not abundantly, but constantly. I went for an ultrasound and was told I had a thickened endometrium, specifically: 'Thickened endometrium with cystic areas in situ and increased vascularity suggesting endometrial hyperplasia.' 'What is the procedure? Do you think it is urgent? Should I fly home for a consultation (studying abroad now), or is it normal after losing a pregnancy? It will take at least a month for me to be scheduled, and I am worried. Should I be taking any medication, antibiotic maybe? Thank you.

#

I presume that the abortion is complete, and the doctor examined you after the abortion. Thickened endometrium is common after miscarriage. It may take some time for the cycles to become regular. I suggest taking a tablet Mefenamic acid 250 mg twice daily for three days after food. And stop taking Paracetamol. It is not an emergency as long as there is no excessive bleeding with severe pain or fever. Also, eat a balanced diet, drink adequate water, have an adequate sleep, and try to relax. Review after three days.

|