Q. What causes continuous vaginal bleeding?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
Published on May 02, 2016

I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is facing continuous bleeding from vagina since seven days after post pregnancy bleeding. Here is the complete scenario. We blessed with a baby 38 days ago and it was a C-section delivery. 16 days back the bleeding had stopped completely. Everything was normal. 10 days back my wife started to have vaginal bleeding again and bleeding till today. We thought that this is her monthly period after pregnancy. The bleeding is heavy so she needs to change 8 to 10 pads a day. She is feeling tired and her BP was low due to excessive bleeding. We have also visited doctor nearby yesterday. She has given two tablets to eat twice and day. Pause MF and Methergine were the tablets given. After having these tablets, bleeding is happening at same flow. BP and tiredness has disappeared. There is no other complication like fever, stomach pain, etc., except bleeding. She needs to feed one month baby as well. Also note that there is no sex done post-delivery. Please help us. I am attaching her CBC, PT, INR/PTT reports for your reference.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Your wife is having bleeding per vagina following one month of Cesarean section. This is termed postpartum hemorrhage and often creates an emergency.

This could be caused by an infection of C-section wound commonly. But, as per your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) she is having some form of blood clotting disorders raised prothrombin time (PT) and international normalized ratio (INR).

Now, definitely she needs hospitalization. She might have another bout of bleeding and in that case, you will not be able to control the situation.

Pause MF (combination of Tranexamic acid and Mefenamic acid) and Methergine (Methylergometrine) can subside the bleeding temporarily.

But, she needs intravenous antibiotics and may need clotting factor transfusion (fresh frozen plasma) as well as blood transfusion.

As her hemoglobin is 10.8, it is substantially low to combat another episode of massive bleeding.

I know the baby will be deprived, but do not take the breastfeeding as a priority in contrast to your wife's impending danger, if any.

Blood coagulation disorder.

1. Routine blood, liver function tests (LFT), urea, creatinine, platelet count, bleeding time (BT), clotting time (CT) prothrombin time (PT) and activated partial thromboplastin (APTT).
2. USG (ultrasonography) whole abdomen.

Postpartum hemorrhage.

Admission along with IV antibiotic as well as FFP transfusion and blood reserve required.

Revert back after the investigations to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have been spotting for more than 15 days. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been spotting for more than 15 days without any pain. I had periods before 20 days, and it has not completely disappeared. I am married but had not had sex in the last two years. I had missing and irregular menstrual cycle once a year, but never like this. I had progesterone six ye...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are spotting for the first time, then I suggest tablet Trapic (Tranexamic acid) thrice daily until bleeding stops. If it persists, then visit your nearest obstetrician and gynecologist and get an internal examination and pap smear. For further information consult...  Read Full

Is it advisable to drink water after a C-section?

Query: Hi doctor, Are we allowed to drink water after a cesarean section? If not, what happens to the body if you drink water?  Read Full >>

Dr. Donalyn S. Barcial

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your concern. Water is not prohibited after C-section. However, drinking water or any fluids is delayed right after CS because you are expected to lie down flat on the bed at least eight hours after the operation to avoid post anesthesia side effect of a sp...  Read Full