Q. I am having brown discharge after sex. Why?

Published on Dec 01, 2018

I am a female 44 years old. After sex, there is a brown discharge. It only happens at that time. There is no other discharge after that. Is it something to panic about? I am taking BP medication Nebicad H and Thyronorm for thyroid.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

This is called post-coital bleeding especially occurring in form of darkish brown mucoid secretion mixed discharge or often in form of spotting and usually accompanied with pain. The most common cause of such complaints is usually cervical erosions or cervicitis which can be confirmed after a per speculum examination and a pap smear by your gynecologist. This is usually due to a frictional lesion of the cervix during intercourse and a repeat friction causes fresh bleed each time increasing inflammation.

The treatment is usually a 10 days course of antibiotics with complete abstinence from intercourse for three weeks and a repeat PAP smear after a month to evaluate the recovery. Other possible cause could be a cervical polyp, a cervical growth or often vaginal dryness secondary to chronic vaginitis-causing vaginal abrasions and bleeding. The best next step shall be a gynecological examination and a PAP smear.

| 

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full »

What is the reason for not ejaculating during sexual intercourse?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 70 but until recently have been very sexually active with my wife. I am in good health overall but have suffered from anxiety and depression my entire life. That usually has not interfered with my sex life. I have had a penile implant several years ago so getting an erection is not...  Read Full »

Is it normal to bleed on the second occasion of sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I am on the contraceptive pill and have started my second month by last week. Two weeks ago, I had sex for the first time and bled during and after sex. But, thought nothing of it as it was normal. Then, I had my period on my pill free days. When I had sex yesterday, I...  Read Full »