Q. I am having brown discharge after sex. Why?

I am a female 44 years old. After sex, there is a brown discharge. It only happens at that time. There is no other discharge after that. Is it something to panic about? I am taking BP medication Nebicad H and Thyronorm for thyroid.

#

This is called post-coital bleeding especially occurring in form of darkish brown mucoid secretion mixed discharge or often in form of spotting and usually accompanied with pain. The most common cause of such complaints is usually cervical erosions or cervicitis which can be confirmed after a per speculum examination and a pap smear by your gynecologist. This is usually due to a frictional lesion of the cervix during intercourse and a repeat friction causes fresh bleed each time increasing inflammation.

The treatment is usually a 10 days course of antibiotics with complete abstinence from intercourse for three weeks and a repeat PAP smear after a month to evaluate the recovery. Other possible cause could be a cervical polyp, a cervical growth or often vaginal dryness secondary to chronic vaginitis-causing vaginal abrasions and bleeding. The best next step shall be a gynecological examination and a PAP smear.

|