Q. Can HIV cause cold after sexual intercourse?

Dr. Rashi Verma
Published on Jan 08, 2019

I am a 28-year-old boy. Recently, I had sex with a lady. We are working together, and two weeks before only her visa got renewed. While the visa stamping time, they check all procedures and tests. About her, she is divorced and separated before one year back. Since one year she lived alone and no sexual relations with anybody. About her Ex-husband, his background was not good. He had a relationship with other girls I heard. But right now both of them are living in the healthy conditions. There is no significant medical problems.

Past four months, we had a good relationship (sexual). My problem is this, recently I got a fever, and I took medicine. Then I was fine. But the cold is not getting cured. Frequently it is coming. Actually here the weather is a little cold now a days. But no weight loss or no other problems. Just cold and headache. Headace sometimes but cold regularly. Can you please advice, is it related to my sexual life? Should I go for any test? Can the HIV virus be hidden for a very long time? Could you please tell me once it is infected how many weeks will it take to identify? Actually, I am planning to marry her.

Dr. Rashi Verma

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have read your query.

It is most likely that fever and cough are due to common cold. Please do warm saline gargles several times a day to reduce the throat inflammation. You can also take steam inhalations to get relief. If a cough is persisting you can take the antibiotic. Take tablet Azithromycin (500 mg) once a day for five days. If the symptoms persist, further tests may be needed. For the headache, you could get your eyes tested. Also, get your blood pressure checked.

You have asked for advice on HIV infection. HIV infection occurs in three stages.

Stage 1: Occurs within 2 to 6 weeks of exposure. Symptoms include a headache, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, rash, cough and cold. It lasts for a couple of weeks, then goes away.

Stage 2: There are no symptoms during this stage.

Stage 3: Full blown symtoms of HIV occur due to immunity being compromised.

It is important to use a condom as it provides the best protection against sexually transmitted diseases. If you are suspecting HIV exposure, it is important to get one tested. ELISA test is the method used for screening. Rapid HIV tests are also available. These are only used for screening and should be follwed by western blot test which is confirmatorty. Sometimes, a false positive result occurs so it is important to get a repeat testing done. HIV virus takes 2 to 12 weeks to appear in blood so that it can be detected by the test. A person should get their partner tested too if the result comes as positive. Please consult a nearby doctor if symptoms persist.

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Type 1 herpes is a sexually transmitted virus. It spreads with contact with an infected person. It can lead to oro-genital infective lesions. To prevent it, avoid any kind of sexual contact with the infected person especially when the person is having active lesions....  Read Full

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient who has comp...  Read Full

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Below are the specific answers for your questions. CMIA is based on chemiluminescence principle and it is performed on an automated analyzer. It is the most effective technique nowadays to rule out HIV. CMIA can almost 100 % rule out HIV after 90 days of exposure. Usua...  Read Full