Q. What causes bleeding after sex?

Published on Feb 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Last night I had sex with my wife. It was the last day of her periods. She bled light red color with some watery fluid in it. I would like to know, is that from menstruation or virginity defloration? Does she lose her virginity?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• For your information, a woman loses virginity on the first day of her intercourse.
  • So, the bleeding is likely to be remaining endometrium of that menstrual flow and can often be seen commonly if sex occurs on last day of bleeding days.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

She said that it was the first time. So, how can I conclude that she was virgin at that time?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• In that case, if this was her first intercourse and she had an intact hymen previous to yesterday then you would see blood coming out from the margins of vagina at the entrance itself due to hymen rupture.
  • If the blood is coming from inside the vagina then it is likely to be from the uterus. This is due to remaining endometrium inside uterus which would get shredded post uterine contractions during the sexual act and orgasm.
  • But, hymen may rupture even while certain activities like bicycle riding, accidental perineal injury, horse riding and fall injury. So, one has to keep that in mind.
  • Secondly, another indication of a possible previous intercourse would be laxity of vaginal muscles during intercourse. Usually during the first intercourse the initial penetration is difficult and painful as well.
  • So, if you are still in doubt and the bleeding has not stopped as yet then you may get a local examination by a gynecologist for an opinion on the same.

I had difficulty in penetration and it was also painful for her. I too felt tightness in inserting my penis. Can you tell me some more indications of possible previous intercourse and also some of the symptoms of first sexual intercourse?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• If there was pain during initial penetration and difficulty in insertion more inside and deeper then she is likely to be a virgin.
  • The bleeding is likely due to old collected blood or remaining menstrual endometrial shedding.

I am having very little vaginal bleeding. Is it periods?

Query: Hello doctor, Actually, I was about to get my periods near 5th of this month but I got it six days back. The problem is that bleeding is very very little by little, I mean just a few drops without any pain or any blood clots. I am not sure it is my period or vaginal bleeding. As I am sexually activ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Hassan Shoukat

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am pretty sure this will be the beginning of periods. These little bit variations in days and amount of bleeding are common. Ultimately, in a day or two, you will have your normal bleeding periods. Another possibility is lost pregnancy. Sometimes, conception occurs an...  Read Full

My fiancee had period like bleeding after first-time sex. Can you explain why?

Query: Hello doctor, About eight months back I got intimate with my fiancee. As it was her first time having intercourse, I penetrated her very slowly. Afterward, I noticed small spots of blood on the head of my penis.  After she went home, she rang me to say she was bleeding so much, she had to use a ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The rupture of hymen during first-time sex can cause bleeding. Sometimes tears in vagina due to tight introitus can also cause bleeding. Rarely it may require suturing to stop the bleeding. Another possibility is that she had been menstruating when you had sex and the...  Read Full