Q. Why do I have heavy bleeding after sex?

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 18, 2019

I am 26 years old. I have seen my period in the second month of last year and miss it up for a further two months. I have seen it again after three months and stopped at the end of that month. But anytime I have sexual intercourse, I will bleed and past lots of blood clots for at least three days and then stop, and I waited for four days. I was good until I had sex again the same bleeding occurs, and there was lots of blood clot. Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

As there is oligomenorrhoea and your menses have returned after a long time, eight months now, it is essential that the cause needs to be investigated. The likely reasons are PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), Hypothyroidism), or Hyperprolactinemia. You need to get a complete hormonal profile with serum estradiol and serum testosterone levels with ultrasound pelvis to look for ovarian cysts (PCOS).

The bleeding post intercourse is likely due to cervical erosions, which can cause bleeding and hence, a per speculum exam with a Pap smear is necessary as well. The ultrasound can deduce the endometrial thickness and if thick then an endometrial biopsy may also be taken for histopathological examination and learning the phase of the endometrium. In the meantime, you should be placed on antifibrinolytics like Tranexamic acid for controlling heavy bleeding.

Obesity itself is a part of insulin resistance in PCOS, which can cause ovulation and hence delayed menses often. Please review with reports for further discussion and advice.

What causes bleeding after sex?

Query: Hi doctor, Last night I had sex with my wife. It was the last day of her periods. She bled light red color with some watery fluid in it. I would like to know, is that from menstruation or virginity defloration? Does she lose her virginity?  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Why do I get pain and bleeding after sex with pap smear showing CIN3?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a history of back pain and pain during intercourse as well as bleeding after. My pap smear came back CIN3. What can I expect?  Read Full »