Q. Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bleeding again from today on the 27th of this month. Please help me out. My height is 155 cm and weight is 63 kg. I have this complaint once since last month. Normally, my periods will occur in an interval on 40 to 45 days. This is the first time I am experiencing spotting, bleeding and delay. Is this a serious problem?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Please do not worry. Irregular periods are not an alarming thing to worry about.

Irregular periods are due to

• stress and strain
  • anxiety
  • work pressure
  • change of place
  • change in climate
  • low blood count
  • thyroid disorders or uterine or ovarian problems.

Please get your complete blood count and thyroid profile done. Also, get a pelvic scan done to rule out the exact cause.

Just get your urine pregnancy test done with early morning urine sample, if you are sexually active. If not, then just ignore. Do get back to me with reports so that I can guide you further.

Take plenty of fluids, vegetables, fruits, iron-rich diet and exercise.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thank you doctor

Can this be due to PCOD? Should I get these tests immediately?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Yes, polycystic ovarian syndrome also could be one of the reasons. The scan will clear if you have PCOS.
  • Since you had normal periods still last month, I do not think there is something major to be concerned about.
  • There is no urgency in getting these tests done. Just take your time and get these tests done and get back to me.

|