Q. Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on May 12, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bleeding again from today on the 27th of this month. Please help me out. My height is 155 cm and weight is 63 kg. I have this complaint once since last month. Normally, my periods will occur in an interval on 40 to 45 days. This is the first time I am experiencing spotting, bleeding and delay. Is this a serious problem?

#

Please do not worry. Irregular periods are not an alarming thing to worry about.

Irregular periods are due to

• stress and strain
  • anxiety
  • work pressure
  • change of place
  • change in climate
  • low blood count
  • thyroid disorders or uterine or ovarian problems.

Please get your complete blood count and thyroid profile done. Also, get a pelvic scan done to rule out the exact cause.

Just get your urine pregnancy test done with early morning urine sample, if you are sexually active. If not, then just ignore. Do get back to me with reports so that I can guide you further.

Take plenty of fluids, vegetables, fruits, iron-rich diet and exercise.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you doctor

Can this be due to PCOD? Should I get these tests immediately?

#

• Yes, polycystic ovarian syndrome also could be one of the reasons. The scan will clear if you have PCOS.
  • Since you had normal periods still last month, I do not think there is something major to be concerned about.
  • There is no urgency in getting these tests done. Just take your time and get these tests done and get back to me.

| 

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full »

Lifestyle Modifications for Women's Health

Article Overview: Learn about simple lifestyle changes and healthy habits that can help a woman stay disease-free and enjoy life to the fullest. Read Article

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Fitness Expert

Women of today find it very difficult to juggle between their personal and professional life, especially if they are mothers. But, having two incomes at home has become a necessity rather than a luxury. Yes, it does feel very good to call oneself a working woman, but the working hours are taking a t...  Read Article

Health Benefits from Eating Eggs

Article Overview: Egg protein has the highest nutritive quality as compared to any other dietary protein. An egg is said to be a complete food because of its nutritional benefits, such as vitamins, minerals, proteins, best quality of fat, etc. Read Article

Dr. Durga Kumari
Nutritionist

Who does not know the benefits of an egg? I think everyone is familiar with this nutritious white diamond of the food group. It is a rich source of all nutrients except vitamin C (ascorbic acid). An egg of 50 g weight contains the following: Calorie - 85. Protein - 6.5 g (13 % of RDA). Fat - 6....  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»