Q. Why do I experience bleeding from the left nostril whenever I blow my nose?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I am 21 years old female, and I am living in a temperate country. Recently, I have been feeling slightly fatigued and getting dull headaches, but this is not serious. What is bothering me is every time I blow my nose, I have bleeding. It does not last long, and after I press my nose and tilt my head back, it stops bleeding. It stops immediately, but it has been consistent for 3 to 4 days each time I blow my nose. The bleeding also occurs only from my left nostril. The weather has recently been changing, so I thought it could be this, but I am worried now if it could be something more serious. I feel absolutely fine otherwise, and the only medications I take are tablet Cerazette for birth control, two Probiotic tablets at night before sleeping, and a Vitamin C tablet of 1000 mg every day during the afternoon. The pharmacist advised me to use an anti-inflammatory spray of Humex.

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from nasal bleeding or epistaxis. Nasal bleeding can occur from dry air or climate, a foreign object stuck in the nose, frequent nose blowing, allergies, cold or sinusitis, injury to the nose, exposure to chemicals, picking the nose, repeatedly sneezing, upper respiratory tract infection, hypertension, etc. Some investigations like endoscopy of the nose and CT (computed tomography) scan of the nose may help determine the exact underlying causes for your epistaxis and then treat them accordingly. Tranexamic acid can be taken to control nasal breathing.

Take care.

In case of any other queries, please reach back to me.

Thank you for your reply. Do you think the Humex anti-inflammatory spray is worth trying? I feel I am bleeding as my nose feels very dry from the insides, affecting my breathing. Also, are there any other natural or home remedies I can try to get rid of this issue? If you have some other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

#

I have already mentioned that nasal bleeding can result from dry air or climate, which makes the nose very dry from the inside. Humex (Benzalkonium Chloride) anti-inflammatory spray is used to treat sneezing, runny nose, or allergic rhinitis. But it is contraindicated in case of blood clotting disorders, including nasal bleeding. So, you should not use this medication without consulting your personal doctor first. Naturally, apple cider vinegar, yarrow powder, and a mixture of salt and baking powder may help stop nose bleeding, according to some studies.

I hope I have answered your question.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

|