Q. Which mouthwash is better to combat bad breath in a smoker?

Dr. Rachna
Published on Nov 06, 2019

Is there a difference in alcoholic and non-alcoholic mouthwash. Which is better at combating bad breath due to smoking than alcoholic? I am in a hygiene school and want to know whether or not to recommend non-alcohol mouthwash for the complaints of bad breath from smoking. I have recommended tongue scraping, alcoholic mouthwash. Anyways, they are not going to stop smoking or drinking. I was looking at a way to have them not dry out the tissues, but stopping the obvious factors do not seem to be an option.

Dr. Rachna

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

You can definitely prescribe alcohol-free mouthwash in such cases, in fact they are better in the patients who consume alcohol and smoke.

Alcohol-free mouthwash should not contain Benzalkonium chloride (allergen), Sodium lauryl sulfate, Saccharin, or alcohol.

On the other hand, it should have Sodium benzoate, Sodium bicarbonate, and other ingredients that actually help to eliminate bacteria from the mouth. You can check the commercially available mouthwashes in your country.

How to Prevent Bad Breath or Halitosis?

Article Overview: This article discusses the causes and management of bad breath which is also called halitosis. Read Article

Dr. Osman Adam
Dentist

Halitosis or a foul odor that comes from the mouth is not a medical emergency, but at least 25 to 30 percent of the world's population complains about this problem. Types: Halitosis can be described in two classes: Bad breath in the morning, which is a normal physiological change. However, it c...  Read Article

What can be done for bad breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a bad breath problem. I really feel a bad breath in my mouth when I wake up early in the morning.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through your question. I can understand your concern. There are two main general reasons for halitosis (bad breath) related to oral cavity or teeth and the second one is related to the stomach. For oral cavity related you need to check for any cavity, accumulat...  Read Full

Why do I have bad breath in spite of flossing and using mouthwash?

Query: Hello doctor, Majority of times after I floss and then brush my teeth afterward I use cool mint Listerine mouthwash. I do not understand what is going on but my fiance says I have an unpleasant smell in my mouth. I do not have to be so close to him talking. After I had a wash with the Listerine, I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You do not need to be frustrated. It is very common. There are various factors affecting your bad breath. You can try these things to improve your oral hygiene. Avoid foods and beverages that cause bad breath, eat more fruits and vegetables, take sufficient amount of...  Read Full