Q. I have itchy and watery eyes. How to get it cured?

Dr. Skandha Harshita
Published on Nov 12, 2018

I have itchy and watery eyes. I cannot look at an object for a long time as tears come out from my eyes. I always blink and stay calm. Please help.

Dr. Skandha Harshita

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You are suffering from a condition called a dry eye. I advise you follow these precautions. Reduce the screen time which in turn increases the blink frequency. It gives you some relief. If still, it persists, you can use artificial tear supplements which are preservative free. If there is no improvement, you can use tear supplements in gel form so that the drug retains in an eye for some time.

Reduce the temperature of the eye by applying a wet cloth on your eyes before sleeping as it reduces irritation and dry eye. It is important to grade the severity of the dry eye before prescribing any medications as the treatment varies with severity.

Please give some information about your condition and a picture of your eye. Please explain whether you have continuous symptoms or you have it during a particular time. Please say whether you experience any seasonal variations of the symptoms.

Please tell whether you use glasses and if you use, suggest the power of the glasses. Please say whether you have any swellings on the inner side of the nose adjacent to the eye. Please tell whether you have any difficulty in seeing the light, any discharge from your eyes and whether you develop any swelling in the lids.

I experience these symptoms continuously. I do not have seasonal variations. I do not use glasses, and I have irritation in the nose due to allergy. I do not have difficulty on seeing the lights, and I have watery eyes, and there is no other discharge. When I stare at the screen for a long time, swellings develop on the eyelids.

Dr. Skandha Harshita

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

These are the symptoms of dry eye. When you feel the symptoms of itching and watering, use eye drops Refresh liquigel (Carboxymethylcellulose 1 %) one drop six times a day. Voluntarily, increase the blink frequency (blinking frequently). It helps to reduce symptoms in the long run. If your eyes have a small gap between them while you sleep (if the eyes not closed completely during sleep), you will benefit from taping your eyes close before sleeping. It is a common problem among patients who expose to dust and who have excessive screen time.

How can I cure ocular rosacea, blepharitis, and MGD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22-year-old girl. I have had eye problems for around nine months and have seen several eye doctors and ophthalmologists who all have told me different things and tried a lot of different treatments that have not worked. I am a contact lens wearer with extremely bad eyesight and fi...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for blurry image, itchy eyes and headache?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having lots of trouble with my eyes lately. Reading glasses are not helping me. Everything has begun to get blurred. I have noticed that I have been rubbing my eyes a lot and I have been getting headaches. Please help.  Read Full »