Q. I have itchy and watery eyes. How to get it cured?

Dr. Skandha Harshita

I have itchy and watery eyes. I cannot look at an object for a long time as tears come out from my eyes. I always blink and stay calm. Please help.

#

You are suffering from a condition called a dry eye. I advise you follow these precautions. Reduce the screen time which in turn increases the blink frequency. It gives you some relief. If still, it persists, you can use artificial tear supplements which are preservative free. If there is no improvement, you can use tear supplements in gel form so that the drug retains in an eye for some time.

Reduce the temperature of the eye by applying a wet cloth on your eyes before sleeping as it reduces irritation and dry eye. It is important to grade the severity of the dry eye before prescribing any medications as the treatment varies with severity.

Please give some information about your condition and a picture of your eye. Please explain whether you have continuous symptoms or you have it during a particular time. Please say whether you experience any seasonal variations of the symptoms.

Please tell whether you use glasses and if you use, suggest the power of the glasses. Please say whether you have any swellings on the inner side of the nose adjacent to the eye. Please tell whether you have any difficulty in seeing the light, any discharge from your eyes and whether you develop any swelling in the lids.

I experience these symptoms continuously. I do not have seasonal variations. I do not use glasses, and I have irritation in the nose due to allergy. I do not have difficulty on seeing the lights, and I have watery eyes, and there is no other discharge. When I stare at the screen for a long time, swellings develop on the eyelids.

#

These are the symptoms of dry eye. When you feel the symptoms of itching and watering, use eye drops Refresh liquigel (Carboxymethylcellulose 1 %) one drop six times a day. Voluntarily, increase the blink frequency (blinking frequently). It helps to reduce symptoms in the long run. If your eyes have a small gap between them while you sleep (if the eyes not closed completely during sleep), you will benefit from taping your eyes close before sleeping. It is a common problem among patients who expose to dust and who have excessive screen time.

|