Q. Kindly view my blood glucose values and advice the treatment.

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader
Published on Aug 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

My height is 5.10, and the weight is 100 kg. My fasting blood glucose level reading is between 110 to 116, whereas random is 98 to 105. I took an HbA1c which was 5.9, what should I do? Doctor suggested some random tests and figured out fasting sugar level a little high, so I went for HbA1c, and I am taking the readings at home since then.

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

Endocrinology
#

Your BMI is 33.75. So you have obesity class-I. Your fasting blood glucose is high, but not high enough to call it diabetes. You have impaired fasting glucose (IFG), a form of prediabetes, which may proceed do diabetes. You have to reduce your weight and start taking more vegetables and no sugary or sweet food, no excess fat.

Vegetables should constitute half the normal plate, a starch-like bread from whole cereals should constitute a quarter, protein in the form of fish or lean meat (chicken better) should represent the remaining quarter of the main meals. Start doing exercise, walk fast enough to put two steps a second, for at least 30 minutes a day, at least five days a week. You can take Orlistat (Xenical) 120 mg with a meal to reduce your body weight. Fat may come out as oily stool as a side effect.

Tablet Metformin 500 mg after supper will help prevent progression to diabetes. Both Orlistat and Metformin may cause mild to moderate abdominal upset in a few for a few weeks, after that it should go away. I hope you will follow to get in better shape.

| 

Can blood glucose around 100 to 105 and high lipids cause any nerve related symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I have developed symptoms of nerve dysfunction (burning, tingling, etc.) but all the nerve related tests were normal. Over the past 9 to 12 months, my diet was poor, I am about 70 pounds overweight, age 40, and have high LDL. My blood glucose last year was 86, then it went up to 97 by th...  Read Full »

What are the ways to reduce fasting blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 49 years old, moderately active, all biochemical parameters mid-range normal. Fasting sugar levels steady at 147 to 149, PP 159 to 250, drops to 80 to 105 at about 6 PM, after lunch at 1.30 to 2 PM. I am having (Glycomet Trio1 and Glycomet GP1) twice a day. Am unable to understan...  Read Full »

What treatment has to be followed to reduce higher fasting blood sugar level?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife (55 years) got sugar results fasting 172, and pp 136. What can be the explanation (higher fasting value)? What treatment course to be followed?  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now