Q. Kindly view my blood glucose values and advice the treatment.

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2019

My height is 5.10, and the weight is 100 kg. My fasting blood glucose level reading is between 110 to 116, whereas random is 98 to 105. I took an HbA1c which was 5.9, what should I do? Doctor suggested some random tests and figured out fasting sugar level a little high, so I went for HbA1c, and I am taking the readings at home since then.

#

Your BMI is 33.75. So you have obesity class-I. Your fasting blood glucose is high, but not high enough to call it diabetes. You have impaired fasting glucose (IFG), a form of prediabetes, which may proceed do diabetes. You have to reduce your weight and start taking more vegetables and no sugary or sweet food, no excess fat.

Vegetables should constitute half the normal plate, a starch-like bread from whole cereals should constitute a quarter, protein in the form of fish or lean meat (chicken better) should represent the remaining quarter of the main meals. Start doing exercise, walk fast enough to put two steps a second, for at least 30 minutes a day, at least five days a week. You can take Orlistat (Xenical) 120 mg with a meal to reduce your body weight. Fat may come out as oily stool as a side effect.

Tablet Metformin 500 mg after supper will help prevent progression to diabetes. Both Orlistat and Metformin may cause mild to moderate abdominal upset in a few for a few weeks, after that it should go away. I hope you will follow to get in better shape.

|