Q. Kindly view my blood glucose values and advice the treatment.

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My height is 5.10, and the weight is 100 kg. My fasting blood glucose level reading is between 110 to 116, whereas random is 98 to 105. I took an HbA1c which was 5.9, what should I do? Doctor suggested some random tests and figured out fasting sugar level a little high, so I went for HbA1c, and I am taking the readings at home since then.

Do you have a question on Blood Glucose Level or Hba1c?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Syed Abdul Kader

MBBS., MD(ENDOCRINOLOGY & METABOLISM
Endocrinology

Your BMI is 33.75. So you have obesity class-I. Your fasting blood glucose is high, but not high enough to call it diabetes. You have impaired fasting glucose (IFG), a form of prediabetes, which may proceed do diabetes. You have to reduce your weight and start taking more vegetables and no sugary or sweet food, no excess fat.

Vegetables should constitute half the normal plate, a starch-like bread from whole cereals should constitute a quarter, protein in the form of fish or lean meat (chicken better) should represent the remaining quarter of the main meals. Start doing exercise, walk fast enough to put two steps a second, for at least 30 minutes a day, at least five days a week. You can take Orlistat (Xenical) 120 mg with a meal to reduce your body weight. Fat may come out as oily stool as a side effect.

Tablet Metformin 500 mg after supper will help prevent progression to diabetes. Both Orlistat and Metformin may cause mild to moderate abdominal upset in a few for a few weeks, after that it should go away. I hope you will follow to get in better shape.

What treatment has to be followed to reduce higher fasting blood sugar level?
Query: Hello doctor, My wife (55 years) got sugar results fasting 172, and pp 136. What can be the explanation (higher fasting value)? What treatment course to be followed?  Read Full >>
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your wife and it seems that she has an impaired fasting blood sugar and that she must have her HbA1c checked to be sure whether she has a need to take medications for diabetes or not. In the meantime try to take a low carbohydrate and low...  Read Full

My HbA1c is 7.5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full >>
Dr. Ankush Gupta
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7. So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glycipha...  Read Full

Can blood glucose around 100 to 105 and high lipids cause any nerve related symptoms?
Query: Hi doctor, I have developed symptoms of nerve dysfunction (burning, tingling, etc.) but all the nerve related tests were normal. Over the past 9 to 12 months, my diet was poor, I am about 70 pounds overweight, age 40, and have high LDL. My blood glucose last year was 86, then it went up to 97 by th...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the details given. The glucose levels mentioned are normal. Only 106 mg shows a pre-diabetic fasting level. These levels are unlikely to affect the nerve function. From your information, I get a feeling that you do not have diabetes. Is that right? In tha...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now