Ulcerative Colitis

Please suggest a medicine for bloody stool in ulcerative colitis.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about a year back with 30-40 cm from the anal area by colonoscopy. I started taking Asacol (Mesalazine delayed-release tablets) about two tablets twice a day and now it has reduced to two tablets a day. I am also taking Ayurvedic medicine...  Read Full »

Dr. Sony Subhash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Diet and pranayama are the ones which shall be given key importance here. I shall suggest you to have good quantity of fruits and fiber rich diet for the next one week. You can have oats meal for both breakfast and dinner. Consume rice soup with a pinch of salt as lu...  Read Full »

What causes mucus and blood in stools?

Query: Hi doctor, When I am using the restroom, I saw bloody mucus in my stool. What does it mean? Recently, I suffered with diarrhea and black stools. I had treatment for diarrhea and having bloody mucus in stools. Currently, I am taking gastric tablets and medicines to control diarrhea.  Read Full »

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern and worry about the severity of the situation. Loose stool along with increased frequency of stool (6 to7 times per day), mucus and occasional episodes of bleeding suggest inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn's dise...  Read Full »

How to differentiate between ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease?

Query: Hello doctor, My 6 year old daughter was born with tyrosinemia type 1. She had diarrhea and bloody stools for 10 days, a month back. She was tested for many things, and everything came back normal, except her calprotectin level was 1250 while she had loose and bloody stools. She was admitted and h...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). We see many tyrosinemias and IBD (irritable bowel disease) patients. In smaller children, it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease....  Read Full »

Ulcerative colitis with bleeding in stool

Query: Hello doctor, I have ulcerative colitis for more than two months. I pass more than seven stools a day (loose stools). Constant bleeding before every stool from the rectum. Fever, rapid heartbeat, and anemia. And have a fungal infection, taking medicine too.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. For ulcerative colitis, an anti-inflammatory drug like Sulfasalazine group of drugs can be started. (In a severe case, Steroid can be prescribed for a short duration). Immunosuppressive drugs prescribed if needed. Anti-diarrheal medication also can be prescribed to d...  Read Full »

My tongue is whiter than normal and I have pain in the tongue. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have an issue with my tongue pain for about one month. I am having this issue where my tongue is red in the middle and painful when it is pushing around spit or food or when it is pushing itself to the roof of the mouth. I have a burning sensation. It is hardly noticeable in the morn...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your tongue does not look diseased to me. The diagnosis made by the ENT (ear, nose, and throat) physician seems to be fine. Due to some changes in the papilla present on the tongue, your...  Read Full »

My CT abdomen is suggestive of colitis. Would you explain the symptoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 54 year old male. My weight is 84 kg, and weight is 175 cm. I have done a CT scan before three months, and it showed mild thickening of the sigmoid colon suggestive colitis. I do not have any symptoms of colitis, diarrhea or blood in the stool. I have done stool occult blood test...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The word colitis means an inflammatory reaction in the colon, often autoimmune or infectious. Most of the patients present with the pain in abdomen, diarrhea, and vomiting. The first issue is to try to determine whether you had ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease. Mild ...  Read Full »

I have lost 13 kg due to ulcerative colitis. Please suggest an ayurvedic cure.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39 year old male. I have ulcerative colitis since last year. I have lost 13 kg in the last 18 months. I was previously 73 kg. I now weigh 60 kg. I have frequent motions, even up to six times a day. But, the consistency of the stools is alright. I also have stomach pain sometime...  Read Full »

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease and a very notorious disease. Its progress depends on your diet pattern and life style. You are taking good medicines but, I would suggest some changes. You should stop the allopathic medicine gradually. Take the foll...  Read Full »

Will high platelet count cause a blood clot or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has high WBC count of 15,000, platelet count of 5,40,000, and hemoglobin at 11.2. Her ESR is 86, and CRP is also similar. She has a fever, which rises in the evening to 101. Can you please tell me what this denotes? Also, will the high platelet count cause a danger for a bl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. High platelet count will not lead to thrombosis in the body. Do not worry about that. High platelet is because of reactive thrombocytosis, and that can occur in bleeding, anemia, infection, inflammation, etc. You have an ulcer in the colon, and it seems to be ulcerative...  Read Full »

How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduced in the past two years, but, it started again now. She is having white sticky stools and pain in the left lower abdomen. She is also facing trouble with passing urine. She consult...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The white sticky bowel movements have many reasons, but on considering the medical history of your mother, it is most probably due to severe inflammation of the intestine. The antibiotics taken for the urinary tract infection could have caused an attack of her previously ...  Read Full »

What is the dosage of Pentasa for bowel problem?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a problem in my bowel since more than one month, so I had a colonoscopy with biopsy. The doctor informed me that I have mild inflammation and colitis. The doctor gave me two medications, Pentasa 500 and Tarivid 200. I used Pentasa 500 for three weeks, and I become recovered almo...  Read Full »

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).You have diverticulitis and mild colitis. That is why you should use antibiotics like Tarivid (Ofloxacin) 200 mg. Diverticulitis explains your symptoms like diarrhea and stomach pain.With r...  Read Full »