Q. How many days should I wait for bleeding due to placental abruption to stop entirely?

Dr. Deepali Raina
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 15, 2021

I have vaginal bleeding after 32 weeks of pregnancy. I visited the doctor and told me it as preterm labor and placenta abruption. I got discharged after two days of having bed rest. My bleeding got stopped. But after few days, my bleeding came with an increased amount. How many days does it take to stop entirely? Will it stop entirely? Is it normal for it to persist till the end of pregnancy? Should I need to re-admit again?

#

This is a tricky situation. If the bleeding behind the placenta stops inside, then pregnancy can be continued safely. The collected blood can come out of the vagina for a week. But it should not be bright red as fresh blood. If the bleeding does not stop inside, then you can have a premature delivery. I suggest you take antenatal steroids. It helps for the early lung maturation of the baby in cases of early delivery is needed. Watch strictly for your bleeding and baby movements. If there is any problem, consult your gynecologist as soon as possible.

|